Thai wife can't own land if married to a farang?

I came across an old('97), but interesting article that seems to say Tiger Woods mother can't/couldn't own land in Thailand since she was married to a foreigner. Is that still the case?

www.tigertales.com/tiger/fever020797.html Parts of the article is below:

"As far as I am concerned, he is only a half-Thai," Charouck said. "He takes part in every tournament as an American national, and there is little positive publicity Thailand can derive out of it. Only his mother is Thai."

Woods' parents met in 1967. Earl was a lieutenant-colonel in the Green Berets; Kultida was a secretary at the joint U.S.-Thai command in Bangkok.

Tiger Woods was born in 1975 and raised an American. His mother brought him up as a Buddhist - the golfer showed off a religious amulet to reporters Thursday - and believes the religion gives him "inner peace" on the course.

Under Thai law, if a Thai woman marries a foreign man, she loses her right to buy property and their children assume the father's citizenship. Had the Woods stayed in Thailand, they would have had to remain unmarried for their son to get Thai citizenship without huge bureaucratic hassle.

A proposal to grant Tiger Woods honorary Thai citizenship in light of his athletic achievements has drawn criticism from the parents of other half-Thai children. Some complain of double standards.

Woods said at a news conference that he would be pleased to accept citizenship as "a special honor from my family," but a government spokeswoman denied Friday that such an offer was being made.

For Woods, who received a $480,000 appearance fee, being in Thailand seems to be reward enough.

"This tournament is special, because it's in the land of my mother's birth," he said.

I've never been able to get the straight story on this. The information I receive changes with each hearing. Even if it's true that a TG married to a farang can, there are often officials who don't like new regulations, or haven't been informed of them, and refuse to believe you when you tell them otherwise.

Mentors: Why does your icon keep beating on that poor child's head?

exacty,..

Before I got married last month , I went to a lawyer an checked it out and yes my wife can buy,inherit etc land. But if the local amphur office does not know about this change you could have some problem. I doubt you would have a problem in the land offices in BKK, Hua hin , pattaya where there are a lot of farangs.

Having just been through this scenario just recently,I went with my wife to the land office in Khorat and asked if she had lost her right to own and or buy land after marrying a foreigner,The answer that we recieved was that she can still buy and own the land but I would have to sign a disclaimer to the land title.

Yes a Thai national can still own land and there is not any limitation in size. The foreigner can however not own any land. When buying land, you will be asked at the amphur the sign a document in which you declare that the money paid for for the land is not belonging to yours but to your wife.

That at least what happened to me.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Archived