Nasty Cab Rides From Midday Onward In Bkk ....

gobbledonk

1. Suk from Soi 4 up, going in the direction of the weekend attractions around Erawan - Siam Paragon, MBK, whatever. Madness.

2. Virtually anywhere in the Farang ghetto to Chinatown. I'm sure there are 'back ways', but the cab drivers I get dont seem to know them .....

3. Farang ghetto to KSR - exactly why I would want to go there, I cant recall, but it seems to be an incredibly roundabout route to get out there. Given BKK's traffic at night, I suspect this may have been the 'quickest' if not exactly the shortest route. Nothing like blazing down backstreets at 80 km/h to let you know you're alive. :yikes:

Of course, these are all crowded inner-city roads and only a nutter would expect an easy run in a big city in the afternoon/early evening. Those looking for something a bit out of the ordinary may enjoy the drive out to the Laos Embassy in Bang Kapi. I swear we sat at a set of traffic lights where the digital countdown started at '600' and I watched half of Bangkok drive through the intersection while the other half rumbled across a flyover above our heads. Mexico City and Manila would be worse, but those towns were never on my list of 'fun destinations' - BKK is. For now. ;)

Better to go using other then a taxi, where you can.

1. Suk from Soi 4 up...can use the BTS.

2. Virtually anywhere in the Farang ghetto to Chinatown...take the bus, 507 goes Rama 4, then Yaowat or taxi can go same route but lots of traffic...or the subway to Hua Lampang <sp?> then a bus (#1?) to Yaowat.

3. Farang ghetto to KSR...take a bus, 511 is air con and will get you very close...or BTS to the river

and then river taxi and a short walk.

He's getting ready...then TIT, all the info he gathered will change :dunno:

Fair point, but this thread is more about reminding myself of the things I am missing that I should be GLAD I'm missing ;)

PS A couple of years back, I took a stroll down Suk and found myself walking past 'the world's biggest carpark'. The sight of Thais jammed into stationary buses - seemingly with no aircon - was enough to dissuade me from ever attempting to catch one of those huge (1970s ?) monsters. If recent threads re overcrowding on the Skytrain are anything to go by, I may as well resign myself to long cab rides in 2014. It's still not as bad as Jakarta - I dont know how people live in that traffic week in and week out. Tough bastards.

There are many ways to move around BKK. You should never fixate your travel plans on one type of transport. Make your plans depending on the time of day and the direction you travel in. If you travel in the opposite direction of traffic during rush hour it is easy to get to your destination even by taxi.

In short planning to travel somewhere in Bangkok warrants a 5 minute thinkover to decide on means, what time is good to leave and you will always be on time, even in Bangkok!

W

An interesting alternative way of getting from lower Suk. to the Grand Palace/Sanam Luang/Khao San Rd.areas is to walk up Suk. soi 3,over the bridge and down to the Saen Seab canal.From the small pier you can catch a fast boat ( changes at Pratunam,dont know why but TIT )as far as the canal goes.From there its a short walk to many places of interest.During the day it seems quiet but at rush hr. the boats get packed with people.Also,they pull up the side curtains on the boat to keep the spray out.After dark particularly this can make it almost impossible to tell whereabouts you are or whether you are near your get off point.....good idea to memorise a particular landmark which is easy to see after dark :cheerleader:

It's kind of roundabout, but way more pleasant than getting stuck in traffic--and very likely faster: take the Skytrain to Saphan Taksin station, then the water taxi up to either Krom Chao Tha stop for Chinatown, Tha Put for Pahurat (Little India) or any number of stations including (and several past) Tha Chang for Khao San Road area.

Archived