GPRS in Thailand

Im trying to find out more about GPRS support in Thailand. AIS site suggest that they offer GPRS, but you have to call their offices for details. I dont fancy doing this at BT call rates, especially as I dont speak good Thai, and my experiences of trying communicate this in English have been unsatisfactory .

DTAC offer it,(http://www.dtac.co.th/GPRS/eng/Index.htm), and it appears that there is no setup charge, and charges are per MB.

What I am trying to ascertain, is the costs of buying a DTAC SIM, and using that with my own GPRS enabled device. I gather that DTAC have opened their networks to all handsets, so the scenario above should be possible.

Appreciate any info.

What do you mean by a post paid account?

Also, did you get the GPRS enabled via the phone seller, or did you have to contact AIS directly after you bought your phone to get the service enabled?

Post paid = account registered at Thai address. Requires a Thai national ID card or a work permit (I understand). Prepaid accounts like One-2-Call can be bought by anyone. To get GPRS working you need AIS to switch the service on, and I am sure that isn't available on prepaid accounts so far.

Cheers,

Archived