Latest Google Advance In Kansas City

huumlaar

Google wants a certain number of people to sign up before laying fiber. To sign up, it cost a decent amount (several hundred dollars) for a deposit. Google is starting in Kansas City, Ks. and Mo., which contain a sizable number of low income residents.

Google wants a certain number of people to sign up before laying fiber. To sign up, it cost a decent amount (several hundred dollars) for a deposit. Google is starting in Kansas City, Ks. and Mo., which contain a sizable number of low income residents.

It's google so there must be a link with an actual price scale. Maybe on visible in KC?

I live in a suburb of KC called Overland Park, Ks. Its adjoining city, Olathe, is scheduled to be next (in maybe a year). Since I won't have to fork over any money for at least a year (probably longer), I can live without knowing the exact amount.

I live in a suburb of KC called Overland Park, Ks. Its adjoining city, Olathe, is scheduled to be next (in maybe a year). Since I won't have to fork over any money for at least a year (probably longer), I can live without knowing the exact amount.

Found it!

Wow Dean... If this is what you call expensive you must be hitting the ceiling over gas prices. I pay more than this in NC!

https://fiber.google.com/legal/subscriber.html

From Wiki:

in July 2012, Google announced pricing for Google Fiber. The service will offer three options. These include a free broadband internet option, a 1 Gbps internet option for $70 per month and a version that includes television service for $120 per month. The internet service includes 1 terabyte of Google Drive service and the television service includes a 2 terabyte DVR recorder in addition to the Google Drive service. The DVR will record up to eight live television shows simultaneously. The television options also includes a Nexus 7 tablet that will act as a remote control for the system. In addition, television service will also stream live program content on iPad and Android tablet computers. Neighborhoods that receive the service will be selected through demand from Kansas City area residents and Google has set up a website to pre-register for the service.

The free service doesn't get a lot of coverage but is not a bad deal, 10mbps going on memory with the people a few weeks back.

The minium requirment of people in a area to sign up first is casing some bad PR though. I suspect that will change soon enough

I was just referring to what was required for the deposit/sign up, not the monthly charges. I pay around $40 a month now, so I'll pay the $70 a month, and probably the $120 for internet plus cable television. Considering I drive a Ford E-250 cargo van and a Honda odyssey (my wife's car), I pay round $120 a week in gas, so I am price sensitive to gas prices.

Archived