Finally some bandwidth

whosyourdaddy

really like to see home broadband that focused on people who like to run servers, too

Web hosting can be found dirt cheap. Why not leave all the server management to the web hosts?

For the majority of people who just want to browse the web and do email, satellite is fine. I would never get satellite internet because the ping is pretty horrid making it unsuitable for internet gaming.

I agree 110% with everything you said. That would be SO nice! Unfortunately, the home market is continually being snipped into a little box of capabilities that your typical mom and pop browser will think is fine. Getting anything else can cost a fortune. My favorite example is Telecom Asia's "Premium Leased 1" offering. Speed is 64-128Kbps, startup fee is 20000 baht, 20000 baht monthly (these are not typos --- twenty thousand), and limited to 2.5GB/month of bandwidth and another 8000 baht per extra gig used. Umm, I am dying to know if anyone has EVER signed up for this?

Faster unlimited internet is available a bit lower than that. With the cable modem or ADSL from TA you get 256/64 unlimited for around 13000 baht/month. Up to 2Mb up/down is available, but sure gets quite expensive. Static IP is available too.

Only I cannot recommend cable modems at this time (maybe same with ADSL), you will have the 256/64 Kb bandwidth available, but the response times are really slow. My guess is that this is due to someone getting the "brilliant" idea of putting all the cable modems on a proxy server to save a bit on the international uplink. Bad move, it was really fast before they did this stunt.

Although their service level is good and fast, they seem to have some very strange procedures. I had a problem, the cable modem could not sync with the data carrier. I called them and asked them to check if everything was ok on their end. Just to be told that they never knew of a problem like that so it must be me who did something wrong. They sent 2 tech guys a couple of hours later and I tried to explain to them that everything was ok on my end, it took them 3 hours of playing around before they believed me. Got a call 2 hours after they left, explaining that they found the fault in a card connecting to my house. Wish they would believe me just sometimes.

Even worse is that on the next statement I was billed for the service visit. Didn't call them yet, but I sure will.

They did some server upgrades not long ago, and I am now able to see the names of the servers connected to the backbone. It looks like more isp's will provide broadband internet in the near future. Some of the servers are named:

adsl.loxinfo.com

adsl.ji-net.com

aiadsl

Would like to hear if anyone got experience with ADSL/Cable in Bkk.

Best regards,

Danish30

I was using the cable modem till I got zapped by lightning at the beginning of the month. Now battling with lap tops, viruses, technicans and suppliers all of whom are conspiring not to understand me.

After my initial intro to dial up my cable modem was brilliant. That was until they did an upgrade towards the end of last month when everything slowed down.

I intend moving toa village where it takes two years or more to get a push button phone and have applied for the IP Star Med Express satellite service from CS. This costs 20000 baht to instal and 8000 baht for 7.5 gig a month. The unlimited package for 256k download is I think 22,000 baht.

The package I have applied for comes with a fixed IP address and I would have thought it would be possible to set up a home server for DIY sites or am I wrong?

Assuming you will be using a telephone for upstream data, how much are your telco charges going to be?

While I would love a big fat pipe spewing data into my living room I surely would not think twice to spend $10 a month to have someone else run daemons like httpd, sendmail, *sql, etc... for me. The reason are obvious $10 a month is damn cheap for bandwidth, server grade hardware, security and administration. I have being using the same host for six years now and I can't say that I have ever noticed when they brought a machine down for repair or got a huge electricity bill from a California utility, or had to run thier generators.

Once IPv6 is fully implemented static IP numbers will again be abundant, in the mean time you can use a dynamic DNS service such as the ones listed here:

http://www.e-smith.org/docs/manual/5.1/configexternal.html#configdyndns

AD

Archived