• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai diplomat in Cairo called back for her safety : FM

Thai Foreign Affairs Ministry called back to Thailand the female Thai diplomat who allegedly assaulted an Egyptian woman at a Cairo hotel, as a precaution for her safety as there were reportedly threats against her.

Thai Foreign Ministry deputy spokesman Jakkrit Srivali said Tuesday the ministry ordered First Secretary of the Thai Embassy in Egypt Kakanang Amaranand back to provide additional information about what happened and for her safety because there were threatening messages towards the Thai diplomat.

Jakkrit had commented on Monday that the diplomat acted in self-defence and that Thai Ambassador to Egypt Chalit Manittayakul had defended Kakanang’s character.

Kakanang was accused by Egyptian woman Rana Ashraf and her lawyer husband that Kakanang, in drunken state, had assaulted her at the Kempinski Hotel in Downtown Cairo on Thursday.

http://www.nationmul...--30208555.html

Muslim = 90 % + Copts = 10 % + Jews = 0.0000 %

"This Jewish community arouses a great deal of interest, especially in recent days. At its height, in the mid-20th century, the community numbered 80,000 souls. Ever since the establishment of the state of Israel, the Jews in Egypt have taken pains to disavow any suspicion of support for Zionism on their parts or any other subversive activity. For example, they avoided any contact with Israeli journalists, or friendly overtures on the part of the Israel embassy in Cairo. Now, as the community nears the end of its existence, Egypt’s future is also shrouded in darkness. There is no way of knowing what will be the fate of the considerable property owned by the community, especially its 34 synagogues (of which only three are active), real estate, cultural institutions and thousands of ancient sacred manuscripts."

Doesn't sound like zero to me.

and,

"After being elected president of the Jewish community, Chehata’s daughter Magda Haroun was interviewed by the Egyptian CBC television station. Magda stated, during the interview, that she had never visited Israel, and that she would only visit there after the Palestinians received all their rights, and only for religious reasons. Thus it seems that the interests of the Jewish community in Egypt have been entrusted into the capable hands of Magda Haroun, a seasoned politician — no less than her predecessor."

http://www.al-monito...-community.html

No one really knows how many Coptic Christians there are in Egypt, but the suspicion is that the government plays down their numbers. Some estimates are as high as 20%.

I trained with one in the Army, Anis Said from Alexandria. He told me he got out because he couldn't take the discrimination any more.

There was/is an Arab restaurant - in that little Arab area kind of in back of Soi 3 - that was run by a Coptic Christian from Egypt.

Interesting, I wonder which one.

Years ago I knew a dentist in San Francisco who was a Jew from Baghdad. Until the 1940s, Jews made up about one-fourth of Baghdad's population. But the Islamic extremists began attacking them during World War II, and in 1948 the Iraqi government seized all of their property and declared them to be enemies. Most fled to Israel or the West. Current estimates of the Jewish population of Baghdad are just 7 or 8.

<< Sociologist Philip Mendes asserts that before the anti-Jewish actions of the 1930s and 1940s, overall Iraqi Jews "viewed themselves as Arabs of the Jewish faith, rather than as a separate race or nationality" >> :hmmm:

Wikipedia

Several months ago while riding the train from HK to Guangzhou I sat next to an elderly woman and we started to chit chat. When the time came to fill out arrival immigration cards I noticed that she took out a passport with arabic writing and I commented on it. She looked Western and spoke Spanish and English quite well.

It was a Iranian Passport she told me, but all her life she never traveled to Iran. You know what they say about strangers traveling together exchanging life stories so I learned her story.

She was Jewish and was born in Syria to a prominent family. During 1947-48 her grandfather was accused of a crime because he was the head of the Jewish community, died and the remaining family fled for their lives to Lebanon during a pogrom, abandoning homes and businesses.

Shortly after arriving in Beirut, Lebanon the Syrian Government cancelled all passports. All Jews could not re-apply so they turned stateless.

This woman's father was able to purchase Iranian passports from the ambassador in Beirut so ever since she was a child this woman has been Iranian.

Now she is the last person in her family with an Iranian passport and is tired of the treatment she receives whenever she shows it. To get it renewed she has to dress in head-to toe black robe when she visits the Iranian embassy. Whenever she tries to make a bank transfer, Western banks will not allow her because of the bank sanctions against Iran, but she keeps plugging along visiting China and buying goods to sell in Spain.

I asked her why she didn't apply for an Israeli passport and she replied that she was Syrian and has never been to Israel in her life but she may have to do that soon.

When I was an undergrad, many of my classmates were from Iran. I got along with them well enough. Several married an American woman - any woman - just so they would not have to go back. There was also an upper class of westernised, educated Iranians who really caught it in the neck when the Ayatollah's Islamic nutters took over from the Shah. I have 2 Brit friends who have an Iranian parent. Both families completely reject the present Iranian government.

There is quite a big contigent of Iranians in Bangkok studying at ABAC (a Catholic university :p ). Most of them do not want to go back anymore. Especially the ladies. They are all looking for Thai or Western boyfriends so they do not have to go back. Some of them are very pretty. They told me they cannot actually renew their passports at the embassy. Have to go back to Iran for that and they hate going back.

Archived