Court Rules Army Killed 6 In 2010 Unrest

gobbledonk

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2013/08/07/2003569142

Not sure how I missed the news item, but no-one else seems to have posted it. I pray 2010 wont be forgotten so easily next time tensions come to a head, but I fear that it will. Bastards on both sides.

Six Thais, including a nurse and two rescue volunteers, shot dead while sheltering in a Bangkok temple declared a safe zone during 2010 protests were killed by army bullets, a court ruled yesterday.

Soldiers firing from elevated train tracks in the Thai capital gunned down five of those killed, while the sixth was shot by security forces on the ground during a bloody army crackdown on anti-government Red Shirt rallies, an inquest found.

“The court ruled that they were killed during the day on May 19 in Pathum Wanaram temple by bullets which were fired from the direction of security forces stationed on [train] rails and in front of the temple,†Bangkok’s Southern Criminal Court said in a statement.

It said troops employed “high velocity machine gun†fire to target the victims, including 25-year-old Kamonkate Akkahad — dubbed “Nurse Kate†in a high-profile campaign by her family to find answers about her death as she gave medical help to an injured protester. The court said soldiers were acting on orders from a taskforce put together by the then government.

More than 90 people, mostly civilians, were killed and nearly 1,900 were injured in Thailand’s worst political bloodshed in decades.

What I find missing in this decision is motive. Why would soldiers shoot inoffensive people in a temple for no reason? The army insisted that "black shirts" were firing at them from the temple, but the court decided there was no evidence that black shirts were there. And WTF do they mean "high velocity machine gun fire". The weapons used by both sides were M16A1 rifles. (The army also used pump action shotguns.) Snipers do not use "high velocity machine guns".

The Thaksinite government has pushed the Department of Special Investigations to charge both Abhisit and Suthep with murder for ordering the military to end the demonstrations after Thaksin refused Abhisit's offer of prompt elections. I remember feeling relieved when Abhisit's offer was accepted by the protesters. I honestly thought it was over. Then Takky called to reject it, since there was nothing for him personally in the offer. Abhisit ordered the military to use lethal force only in self-defence. Takky's black shirt leader, the rogue general Seh Daeng bragged that his men would shoot to kill and hundreds would die if the army tried to disperse the red shirt camp. If Abhisit is guilty of murder, so is Thaksin. Remember Seh Daeng's M79 grenade attacks on the army base on Wipawadee Road and the fatal attack on the Saladaeng BTS station? (Opps ... not suppose to talk about that. It upsets the red shirts.)

From the Way Back Machine:

Unmasked: Thailand's men in black

http://www.atimes.co...a/LE29Ae02.html

The real problem was the hired thugs of upcountry political bosses who backed Thaksin in hopes of sharing in the spoils. I saw some of them in the red shirt motorcycle processions, very threatening and nasty looking individuals. I'd bet a police check of them would have found a fair number of wanted hit men. The ordinary red shirt protester was a harmless farm type individual, nothing to worry about. But there was a very nasty sort lurking amongst them.

When Thaksin rejected the election offer from Abhisit, everyone knew a crack down would follow. (But Takky could care less who else suffers, as long as it is not him.) My wife is a red shirt - actually spoke on the platform, but she is pro-democracy and said to me "Thaksin doesn't matter'. The day before the crackdown, she told me to stay in the house all day. Violence was coming. She had been warned.

If the Army had really wanted to kill people, there would have been many more dead.

post-98-0-04441600-1376631999_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-71551200-1376631940_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-65859300-1376631974_thumb.jpg

I honestly don't think they care. Have you seen the polls that show nearly 80% of Thais don't mind corruption, as long as they benefit from it too? Thaksin did help the rural poor in Issan and the North, though he helped himself much more. The rural reds are grateful and want him back in hopes of getting a bit more from him. They don't care if he is a crook. Have you ever listened to the red shirt radio stations? Callers go on about Thaksin as if he is the Second Coming of Christ.

I really wonder what will happen when Thaksin snuffs it. Remove him form the picture and it is entirely different. Maybe that is why he is trying to get others of his family into position of power, to build a "hereditary democracy". :p

Archived