Thailand a Trouble Spot

phiketpete

http://worldcup.espnsoccernet.com/story?id=210629

I know that this is a sports topic but thought it warranted a wider audience.

Soccernet report that UK authorities believe that numerous english troublemakers will attempt to arrive at the World Cup via Thailand or remain in Thailand for the duration of the tournament.

The UK authorities have alerted the thai authorities that they may have a public order issue on their hands.

link at the top

It will only be a problem if the Thai authorities deal with it like the oh so liberal human rights conscious etc etc spineless arseholes in Europe where they are simply deported back to Britian to assume some God-like status amongst the scum they represent. Somehow I doubt that will be the case, if it indeed happens. The Thais will shoot them hopefully but if not you can be sure they will actually do time here in not so pleasant prisons.

I suspect it is hype from our infamous tabloid press but I could be wrong.

I don't see Pattaya overrun with "hooligan types" from Britain.

How do you tell if they are hooligan types? Is it their looks, actions or the way they dress? Or is it that they are just British?

Maybe you just feel more comfortable in the company of the brown mac brigade? Flashermac?

You could argue that considering the type of place Pattaya is, you would expect it to be overrun with hooligans. On the other hand, everybodys heard of the expression 'If you can't pull a bird have a fight', well I don't think there's much problem pulling in Pattaya. However, when I was last there, I did bump into a few undesirables, but such a small percentage, especially when you make comparisons with England.

I am not saying that Pattaya will be over-run with so called hooligans during the World cup, but I personally would not choose to be in Pattaya during that time.

I pity the England fans when they arrive in Korea and/or Jpan. Apparently, the British Embassy is trying to educate the people of both nations in the process of identifying a 'hooligan'. Seems that they have been brainwashed by the media into believing that a 'hooligan' is anyone who congregates in pubs, gets drunk and makes a lot of noise : apparently these arent normal behaviour patterns in either country. Using their criteria, large parts of the Western world would be branded 'hooligans' !

The remedy for such hooliganism ? From the report I saw, the Police are preparing by breaking tiles with their hands, feet and heads (always great TV, that stuff...); practising baton charges and brushing up on their submachinegun firing. They didnt show any Apache Attack Copters, but I have little doubt that the Tokyo Police can loan them a few.

To the Westerners who want to party during the World Cup - may God have mercy on your souls.

Artview hit the nail on the head. Japan has to be the worst place to have the world cup! I have not met one Japanese person who is excited about the event (Japan is a baseball nation) and whenever I ask someone what they think of the world cup the first thing they say his Hoo-li-gan. The childeren in Osaka are being sent home early on June 12th because the baby eating British are playing the women raping Nigerians. Many stores will shutter their entrances and some companies will be closing early so their employees can make it home before the huge riots start. I think there will be problems but I think they will be caused by the police. People or should I say gaijin have already been pulled into police boxes just for walking down the street in a football jersey. Noisy beer drinking foreigners = hooligans right? That's waht everyone around here seems to think. In Sapporo, host to the England Argentia game the courts have cancelled all cases for 8 days because they think they will be so busy processing hooligans after the game.

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/waiwai/0205/020517paranoia.html

V Calvino said :

the baby eating British are playing the women raping Nigerians

Wow - can I still get tickets ? LOL :}

It's weird - when you go to a country where the trains run on time (Singapore, Japan) and people are so incredibly orderly, you are tempted to wish it was like that back in your own town, until you want to let your hair down.

Things like this make me wonder whether I deliberately sought out the chaos of Bangkok after the peace of Singapore....

Archived