Thailand a Trouble Spot

phiketpete

Sorry Mr. V., I think you've got it wrong. Yes, Japan is a baseball-oriented nation, but by far and away, the youth of Japan follow football very closely.

As I live in Kobe, about 20 minutes away from Osaka, and a host city of several World Cup matches, I can tell you the people are getting fired up over this event. There have been several city-wide events and festivities, and all are looking forward to the games. Tickets are going for thousands of dollars through scalpers...I was offered seats for the semi-finals for $4,000 apiece. Now, where'd I put my wallet?

Shopkeepers closing shop? I think not. The Japanese entrepeneur smells money....

Are they cringing and hiding from gaijin? Ha! Best time to get laid in Japan is now, baby, now. And it's always been pretty good...

The Hooligans are welcome to Pattaya. I'll be in the stands with the Japanese girls!

Respectfully,

Drew

Sorry Mr. V., I think you've got it wrong. Yes, Japan is a baseball-oriented nation, but by far and away, the youth of Japan follow football very closely.

I can second that. The popularity of soccer in Japan has reached a very high level. The young generation prefers to attend soccer rather than baseball games. It's only a matter of time until soccer will be the no. one fan sport in Japan.

It's true that soccer has gained in popularity over the last 10 to 15 years but baseball still rules in Japan. I was in Japan in the early 90's when J-leauge first started and every game was sold out. You even had the obasans painting their faces dancing around at the games. Since then attendance is way down and although I wouldn't say it is a passing fad it's still not even close to being as popular as baseball. I am in contact with hundreds of students everyday and none are really excited about the event. I am sure there are some people out their who are but it's not the majority. Also, many business will shut down around Nagai stadium the day of the game.

It's only a matter of time until soccer will be the no. one fan sport in Japan.

I might have agreed 6 or 7 years ago but now with all the Japanese players doing so well in MLB I would have to say your wrong. Ichiro is more popular than Nakata.

It's only a matter of time until soccer will be the no. one fan sport in Japan.

I might have agreed 6 or 7 years ago but now with all the Japanese players doing so well in MLB I would have to say your wrong. Ichiro is more popular than Nakata.

Let's wait until the world cup is underway. If Japan gets far soccer will be the big winner. If they do not qualify for the next round people might turn their backs on soccer.

All I can say is that the Hanshin Tigers will always be no.1 in Kansai.

Go Tigers!!!

They had a good start into the new season. But they will be back to normal pretty soon. smile.gif

Go Yomiuri Giants!!

Archived