My increasingly complicated life.

trotsky2

I think getting the fiance visa is only useful if the two people actually intend on marrying within the 90 days. If not, the fiancee visa serves no function. We have know intention of marrying this soon. We don't want to make a mistake like so many others do. The amount of time we have had together is about 8 months (a total of two together) and is not enough for us to get married in 90 days. In a world free of immigration restrictions we would have an initial period of total anarchy but we would also have two people doing what is the most logical. The worst thing for our relationship would be to continue the status quo and obey the moral structure of society. English teacher and wife living in Thailand= recipe for disaster. Boyfriend and girlfriend not together= bad relationship. Boyfriend and girlfriend together and both working in decent paying jobs='s good idea. The only reason not to do the last option would be because it is defying the moral code which say marriage is not just for a visa. However, I think it is the best way to make sure the relationship has a good foundation for a future marriage. We both take marriage seriously which is ironic I guess. It is the government who is forcing people take silly actions. This is my perspective and she may have another opinion. I will ask her in detail when we meet in a few weeks. I intend to take the summer off to see where this road is headed.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeff, i never said they will force you to marry the girl, I said the fiancee visa is for you to marry the girl. INS could not give a damn if you do or don't, they will just not make it easy for you to try again. This is what i have heard for years, that's all. I do recall the document says you are to marry the girl within 3 months. As a naturalized american, i can tell you INS does not come one step your way with whatever you are involved in with them. And they have a poor record of acknowledging your correspondance with them. I had asked for my naturalization interview to be delayed, 2 years ago, had gotten a positive answer, i just had to wait in the mail for the new appointment. Got back from my trip, waited and waited, could not reach any human being thru the phone, so finally went to the INS, and the lady there basically scolded me for not showing at the first appointment. They had no record of my correspondance to delay interview, and she made it known that i was given just a last chance to do follow up with the interview and finger printing stuff, and i had been pretty lucky to show up as my case was considered nullified. 10 years ago, they had also not followed up to renew my green card; though i had paid and filed all papers and they also told me to wait for the mail, then.

Just my feelings: these guys just don't like to have to see you twice for the same reason, and that's one bureaucracy that does not try to help a lot, for better or worse.

My guess is with a well connected lawyer, and mucho dollars, you probably can try again for a fiancee visa.

I wait to hear about your own experience with INS. Cordially

I know several guys who have gotten a second fiance visa with no problems. A failure on the first try (fiance visa) does not disqualify you from trying again. Personally I haven't had any problems in my dealings with the INS, except for being slow, in fact a lady in New Orleans went out of her way to issue my former wife her Advanced Parole in less than 2 hours after applying for it. She could have said come back in a week or so, but took the time and effort to do it then. She said she didn't want me to have to drive 200 miles to come back. That was service. I really think your experiences depend on what office you deal with and person in that office who happens to call your number.

thanks for the good news. This was one of the reasons i hesitated to bring my GF over here, fearing if things did not work out that i would not be able to do it again for a very long time.

PS: about the guys you know, did they get married the first time or just fianceed, then sending back the lady home?

They did get married the first try that eventually ended in divorce. The women in question elected to stay in the US as they had been granted permanent residence (green card) during the time they were married and lived in the states. The guys eventually found new GFs out of the country, brought them here on K-1s, got married and are still married. ALL they had to do on the second try was include a copy of their divorce decree from the first marriage in their I-129F petition. No problems what so ever. On the other hand, if you brought one here on a K-1, didn't get married within the 90 days, she returned to her country within that 90 day window, you have acted within the standards of those conditions which govern fiance visas. If you were to file another I-129F some time later, it in all probability would be approved. The first failure would not be held against you.

To Trotsky...What do you mean your life has been threatened? By whom? Was the threat real or just words from a drunkened falang posting on the teacher board? If the threat is real and can be proved, have the guy thrown out of the country. You don't have to put up with shit like that. '

I don't know whether the guy was drunk or what but he was the most belligerant person I have ever come across. I did instigate a little of it but it seemed normal on this site and even praise worthy since he lambasted everyone on the board daily. I take it that his threat to come and try to kill me is just routine chatter on ajarn.com.

• 4 weeks later...

pattaya,

The INS is serious about your "intention" to marry the girl. They are also quite serious that you are to send her back and advise them to revoke the K-1 status the moment you should chose not to marry her.

The INS is not forcing anyone to get married.

I believe they will look harder if you then try to bring another girl over on a k-1. However, there is no "penalty" as many people percieve in failing to marry a girl you bring over on a k-1. The penalty is if you committ marriage fraud, i.e. use the k-1 to get her over her and then not marry her and then have her stay and become an illegal immigrant.

ABC

Archived