My increasingly complicated life.

trotsky2

Pattaya,

"i never said they will force you to marry the girl"

You didn't say "the INS documents tell you too: You ARE TO marry her within 3 months of her entry in the States" ? (The emphasis is yours.)

"they will just not make it easy for you to try again. This is what i have heard for years, that's all."

Again, you and I have heard different things. I think other posters have adequately addressed this issue.

"that's one bureaucracy that does not try to help a lot, for better or worse."

Most people will agree with you on this, including myself. My wife and I did not have any particular problems with the INS from the time I submitted my I-129f petition to the time she had her AOS interview and was granted Permanent Resident status, but far too many people do encounter problems as you did.

"My guess is with a well connected lawyer, and mucho dollars, you probably can try again for a fiancee visa."

It doesn't take either a lawyer or money, other than the standard application fees, until and unless one has established a record of abusing the K1 visa. Many people have gone through the process more than once, as other posters have said. The Usenet newsgroup <alt.visa.us.marriage-based> would be a good place to research the issue; Google has the extensive newsgroup archive that was originally on dejanews and a good search engine with which to explore the archive. I have not researched the archives on this topic, but in my daily participation in the newsgroup I have seen many instances of people on their 2nd time through the K1 process. Certainly one can always come up against individual INS officials who have personal opinions that may cause problems, that's how many problems with the INS arise, but there is most definitely no INS policy, procedure, or guideline that prohibits or discourages multiple K1 visa petitions and applications other than for very good cause (which, again, would be an established history of abuse or a previuous case of outright fraud).

Regards, JEff

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeff,

That was a typo. I was trying to say visa fraud is if you intend to bring a fiance over with the intention of not marrying her and not sending her back, which I think the rest of my post would've reflected. I've fixed the typo.

Another way to committ visa fraud is to get married in a marriage of convenience for the purpose of getting her into the USA, perm residency, and eventually citizenship.

ABC

• 3 weeks later...

What's her opinion of living in USA?

However it is, she will want to return to Thailand sometime and that could mean at least 1 trip a year.

Question for yourself would be - would you be willing to live in another country in Asia (ok better salary than TH), eg. Korea, Malaysia, Singapore - and that way you could return to TH more often for her.

Archived