Murder Suspect Chase Away Police When They Try To Arrest Him

bust

I remember the sheer incompetence od the police when i was working up there In PNG

Murder suspect chases policemen

By JOHNNY POIYA

A MURDER suspect and former LLG president in Jiwaka has attacked and chased policemen after they confiscated an illegal firearm from one of his tribesmen.

Provincial police commander Joseph Tondop yesterday said Kombuk was wanted by police for the murder of a man who died after receiving serious injuries after the LLG elections.

Supt Tondop said Kombuk claimed he gave some money to the victim to bribe voters but when the election results did not go his way, he was angry and attacked the victim with his supporters.

Jiwaka police were camping in Tolu to have Kombuk arrested after he fled into the bushes with some of his supporters.

Police appealed to Kombuk on many occasions to act as a true leader and come forward to answer for the murder.

His refusal provoked police to conduct a manhunt with a camp set in Tolu.

Last week, police were able to arrest one of his supporters who had a pump action gun on him.

Kombuk and a fully armed group of supporters attacked the policemen and chased them and demanded to know why “they took a gun which he worked hard†to own.

Supt Tondop said: “We gave him time to come forward but he refused. Our boys were sent out as tension between Kombuk and the victim’s relatives rose.â€

He said Kombuk got his support from a handful of armed supporters in the area and appealed for them to become good citizens and not get involved with the former LLG president as he was a wanted criminal.

“I appeal to the leaders and people of Tolu to realise that they should not support criminals.

“Just leave him alone and as a true leader, he will come forward.†Supt Tondop said.

http://www.postcouri...1025/frhome.htm

Archived