Clash Leaves Eight Dead

bust

I can't believe I actually worked in this place. Primitive people. I actually witnessed one of these battles in Port Moresby once.......barbaric is the only way I would describe it.

This story did remind me however of their unique way of dealing with crime.

Whenever there was a robbery/armed holdup at a bank if the robbers got away they would officially close the bank and ATM until the culprits were handed over to the Police by the locals. They are generally not smart enough to keep their mouths shut for long.

AT least eight people have died in a renewed fight between the Waria and Watut tribes in Bulolo, Morobe.

Bulolo town police station commander Inspector Timothy Pomoso said the Bubus from Watut lost seven lives – three on Wednesday and four on Friday – while some sustained severe injuries during attempts to attack the Warias.

The Warias had lost only one life since the fight began on Sept 20.

The Bulolo Health Centre treated 11 people with serious injuries and later sent them to the Angau Memorial Hospital in Lae.

Pomoso ordered the Bubus taking refuge near the police station to leave after they tried to re-start the fight that had somehow calmed down recently.

District administrator Tae Gwambelek said they were advised to ensure that the police station was cleared and officers were free to concentrate on their jobs.

Last Friday, fighting raged from 6am and involved the use of guns, bows and arrows, knives and axes.

“There could be more casualties unreported from both factions because some were chased into nearby bushes and were shot at or knifed,†Pomoso said.

Gwambelek said the fight began when two Warias under the influence of alcohol attacked a Kapau man from Aseki at the Bulolo main market. The Watuts retaliated by destroying properties belonging to the Warias. “Bulolo township is in total chaos,†Gwambelek said.

Companies and government institutions, including banks and the post office closed operations during the fight.

On Friday, police stopped a vehicle used by the Warias to attack the Watut. They confiscated home-made guns and bullets.

http://www.thenational.com.pg/?q=node/59795

Archived