I had a bizarre experience speaking Thai today. Talking on the phone to a shipping company, the owner suddenly asked me if I was Thai or "khon dtang chart". I replied I was a foreigner. He immediately said he couldn't work with me. It was "too dangerous". I handed my phone to a Brit who was with me. He spoke to the owner in his fluent but heavily accented Thai, and they got along fine. Afterwards, I asked him what that was all about. He told me the owner thought I was either a Cambodian or Lao. I didn't sound like a Farang, but I clearly wasn't a native speaker. So now I sound like a Thai-speaking Cambodian? WTF? :(

• Like 1

Flash This as you know is very typical.

I was in a coffee shop waiting a long time once and finally ordered something from the worker

who had her back to me.When she turned and looked at me she

asked where that customer just went?? I said I ordered and she said no YOU did NOT!!!

it was Kon Thai na nawn..Then she would speak to me only in broken English. Okkkk. :dunno:

I had been in LOS for 3 months and it was flowing pretty good...if not too subject technical-

Sometimes the Thai are just not comfy with farang speak Thai-

If the Thais speak English better than my Thai- I go with English

but my pet peeve is struggling I broken English when Thai is much easier.

Flash you hv Issan or Soiey (east of Surin )accent man? :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes:

I find

Sometimes speaking a little Thai and being a pompous drunk does not really work in your favor... Don't try to speak Thai with the cops once you're past the very initial stage - and even then, use caution... Three girls, all night karaoke place, start at two finish at six, figure a lot - lot - of drinks at all-night karaoke prices... any estimates on the appropriate bill? I'm gonna give him a 10,000 penalty for showing up in those cuffs and collar - for what? Nobody gives a damn about 'sapesshuulll"... just be quiet and propose a payment to finish the thing. Four hours?

YimSiam

Thought he was low key and funny (i'm the opposite of low key when alcohol's involved), obviously angling for some sort of empathy from the police. I like the way he kept emphasizing 'mai mii tam arai "special" to the officer -- like hey dude, they want all this money and I didn't even get anything special.

The Thai police are almost the last folks I'd turn to for any resolution of disputes, so this was highly interesting to watch -- and hence my curiosity of the outcome.

I would also guess that the Thai cop is thinking:

"what the fuck is WRONG with you, man - you stay in a whorehouse for four goddamn hours and you don't even manage to do anything 'special'!? [sic - sa-pesh-un...] why were you even there? and now you come to me bragging about not getting laid in a whorehouse, like that's a good thing? fucking farang... should spend less time learning thai and more time getting laid..."

YimSiam

Oh I definitely think the cop was thinking that what the fuck is wrong with you. And -- WHO was filming this, with the cop and everyone else just kinda acting nonchalant about it, even the girls.

I honestly love this video because the scene is so... bizarre. Drunk farang doesn't like his checkbin, and takes a bevy of karaoke dancers down to the police station to have a nice rational chat about the large bill and lack of 'specials.' And it was a calm rational chat. ONLY in Thailand.

Flash This as you know is very typical.

I was in a coffee shop waiting a long time once and finally ordered something from the worker

who had her back to me.When she turned and looked at me she

asked where that customer just went?? I said I ordered and she said no YOU did NOT!!!

it was Kon Thai na nawn..Then she would speak to me only in broken English. Okkkk. :dunno:

I had been in LOS for 3 months and it was flowing pretty good...if not too subject technical-

Sometimes the Thai are just not comfy with farang speak Thai-

If the Thais speak English better than my Thai- I go with English

but my pet peeve is struggling I broken English when Thai is much easier.

Flash you hv Issan or Soiey (east of Surin )accent man? :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes:

I find

He could hardly know who was on the other end of the phone. However, I did learn Thai when I lived in the North. Years ago I was asked why I spoke like a Northerner. Well ... :dunno: