Reinstalling Win98 makes a difference!

When we took our laptop in for service they said we could upgrade to W2K if we forfieted one of the OSes that came with it. We gladly gave them ME which was just prettified W98. They did not have a driver CD so I had to do that myself.

Um how am I supposed to get a modem and a nic driver if niether device is working?

Being the geniuses that tech people can be they had reformatted and reinstalled windows on the computer (to fix an hardware problem?), which means they erased Mandrake, which occupied the better half of the disk. In any event I took it home reinstalled Mandrake removed everything in C:/ except the manufactures included software installers. got on the net with Linux and got my windows drivers installed W2k and all was pretty cherry except I cant figure out how to set up Star Office W32 for multiple users. Still haven't been blessed by the BSOD so I am happy. I tried out W2K on an older computer P120 (i586) with 64mb RAM and it tanks along a little slow but still works xcept it doesn't recognize a SCSI card so back to W98 on that computer. Although there is enough software and hardware support (inspite of going belly up) for Be 5 to help this old box fight obsolesence (The case just celebrated its 14th birthday this month).

While I agree with the wisdom of not fixing things that aren't broken, many would argue that an OS like W98 that crashes all the time (for many) is broken. We were able to upgrade for free which was probably a good will gesture by the vendor because they are trying to get my wife to buy a server appliance for her office (no thank you we are allready happy with aXion). If W2K will work with all the software and hardware on your computer and the price is right the reliability factor seems a compelling reason for an upgrade.

I am not sold on XP, way too much eye candy, I can use Enlightenment if I want eye candy up the wazoo. The remote login bit looks like fun though.

I don't think raw sockets on XP are a huge deal. It makes much more sence to properly cofigure routers so they don't allow spoofed headers onto the net than than to remove handguns from every PC users home. Properly configured Unix boxxen have been configured so that all unused ports are closed down. The non exotic port 25 generates a lot of trouble (most of which is facilitated by MS Outlook) but still the net chugs along.

AD

"I'd upgrade to 2000 just for one word. Stability. Haven't done XP yet. "

i agree 100% - i upgraded from 98 to w2k 2 years ago - over the last 2 years my computer has never crashed...not even once

since upgrading to xp in nov 2002 it still hasn't crashed

also xp is so much prettier - i know many think that is unimportant - but when you spend hours on end staring and playing with your computer it definitely makes a difference ...wouldn't you rather have a stunner hanging round the house all day, rather than a butt- ugly bird --even if no shagging was involved?

db: glad the mobo drivers worked, is it a Gigabyte board?

again agreeing with the stability option for w2k, i'm still wanting to go back to 98 just cos i miss my thai proggys even though it is about as stable as a pattaya BG after 2 bottles of lao khao in a knife shop ;-)

anybody have a win2k solution to getting thai programs to work properly? mr gates has yet to supply a plugin.

DOS rules!

Archived