Reinstalling Win98 makes a difference!

"...and reinstalled Win98..."

Why, after all that trouble, would you choose to *reinstall* 98 when you coulda gone to 2k? I can understand why one would not upgrade to XP, but 98 is a POS compared to 2k. Simply no comparison. Based on your previous IT-related posts, I presume you have compelling reasons, but I cannot fathom what they might be.

• [color:blue]"I can understand why one would not upgrade to XP, "color=blue>

Why not upgrade to xp? I have a notebook with xp installed and it works fine smile.gif

RE: upgrading OS.

Be careful upgrading to XP / 2K FAT, Fat 32 is not 100% compatable with FAT NT.

FAT NT is superior but you can lose FAT 32 files in a direct convert to FAT NT under "casual" XP install options.

My buddy lost an entire 80 gig HD of MP3s in a week end XP upgrade, 1000s of hours in MP3 downloads lost in corrupted cyber 1 & 0s.

He was prepaired to reinstall programs & drivers but had no idea he was also going to lose his entire D: drive in the convert to FAT NT offered as an XP install option.

There are work arounds, that are not clearly stated for the causal "weekend geek" upgrader.

+ XP, 2K & ME may not be compatable / have drivers for older / discontinued hardware.

I've downloaded all the upgraded drivers I need, but remain hesitant to play "Microsoft Roulette". :-o)

Oh my god. You are on 98? Second edition I truly hope, lol.

I'd upgrade to 2000 just for one word. Stability. Haven't done XP yet. Might have to soon.

For me, 2000 is faster, much much much much much more stable. But then again, I was doing a lot of development with Office 2000. But I would have upgraded anyways because my games don't hang. Especially my modified games.

<<burp>>

"Unknown Device, and doesn't seem to know much about the PCI System Management Bus"

try installing the chipset drivers from the CD that comes with the mainboard, it may solve this.

agree with the fact that win2k is a lot more stable but you may have probs (like i do) if you have a lot of programs that use thai eg thaisoft dictionary ... will only work in win98 thai edition.

dont like XP one bit, everone that i know thats upgraded to it have eventually bought their machine in and asked me to put their old OS back on. i think mr gates is playing 'big brother' with this one.

"...dont like XP one bit...i think mr gates is playing 'big brother' with this one. "

I agree completely. XP and related stuff (Passport etc.) is the culmination of Microsoft's long-term strategy: total user lock-in. They realize that the whole "upgrade cycle" game is over, because their products (Office, anyway) already do 100 times more than people need, so people don't feel compelled to upgrade anymore. So now MS seeks to lock people in.

2k is NT 5.0. XP is NT 5.1. The benefits of upgrading from 98 to 2k are very real, but apart from some incremental bells and whistles, the upgrade from 2k to XP is of dubious merit, IMO, unless you have a specific requirement that 2k doesn't support. By doing so, you are basically playing into Gates' hands. Sure, at some point you may *need* to upgrade to XP (again, probably due to Microsoft's strategy), but why bother unless you *need* to? A prettier GUI is not a compelling reason, IMO.

I installed XP Pro, well "it" installed itself in an other partition automatically having detected Win Me on my machine.

I can now boot XP or ME. Be assured ME and its previous incarnation are a piece of crap. Never got the blue kiss of death anymore with XP.

However, I am glad ME is still there, some programs or hardware does not run under XP (Norton AV2001, Nero Burning 5, Oxford Compendium, older version of Via Voice, Sidewinder Precision Pro etc)

Archived