Used computer equipment sold as new?

As I'm considering buying an internal notebook CD writer that is packaged in plastic wrap and has only a one month warranty, yet I'm assured by the dealer that it is "new," I wonder if you think selling used stuff as new is a common practice and it is not new?

Much of the brand new "white boxed" stuff that I bought at computer shows only had a limited 1-3 month warranty. So much of the stuff was being sold that most of them had to be as advertised and new. Having said this, I do not doubt that reconditioned items are sold in just this same manner and passed off as new.

Sorry this doesn't help, but at this point this is where the reputation of the dealer helps you sort out the honest guys from the dishonest guys. If this is a general retailer that folks might have experience with it might help to post the name and ask for negative/postiive experiences with the vendor.

<<burp>>

Most likely they are selling a product that was intended for a manufacture and not an end consumer such as yourself. These products which are known as OEM parts don't carry a warranty from the company that produced them because the the vendor that uses them to manufacture whole computers is supposed to provide the warranty. This is a very common practice for retailers in order to be able to offer products at the lower price. You just need to decide if the addition packaging and longer warranty warrant the price difference for buying something at full retail.

This is a tiny dealer in chiangmai. The guy says he travels to Bangkok four times a month to buy stuff to sell here. I wonder how much he is marking it up over what I could get it for in Bankok.

Archived