Thai-Indian Senior Businessman To Be Deported For Joining Rally

Flashermac

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm Indian but I represented Thailand in talks with India

post-98-0-90216200-1391617183_thumb.jpg

A senior Indian businessman said Wednesday he was puzzled with reports that the government wanted him deported.

Sathish Sehgal, a former president of Thai-Indian Business Association, said he immediately stopped speaking from the rally stage after the state of emergency was invoked last month.

"I'm perplexed to learn from the media that the government wants me deported. I do not understand this because what I said on stage was about loyalty to the monarch and the country. I have never criticised the government or the prime minister," Sathit said.

He expressed confidence that he had done nothing wrong.

He was born in India and moved to Thailand with his parents when he was five years old. He did not change his nationality, though his four siblings are Thais as they were born in Thailand.

He had served in many governments including that of ex-PM Thaksin Shinwatra and was appointed as adviser to ministries six times, Sathit said.

"It's true that I'm an alien, but I have represented Thailand in many talks with India. I'm an alien who has worked and helped Thailand for long time. I wonder where all the good things I have done for the country have gone," he said, adding that he is most worried about his 90-year-old mother.

Rally spokesman Akanat Promphan said the report about the deportation would negatively impact tourism and foreign investment in the country. He also wondered whether Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order was authorised to deport Sathish.

http://www.nationmul...h-30226134.html

Breaking news ...

Thai-Indian Business Association chairman Satish Sehgal says he will seek justice from the court over deportation threat by the Center for the Maintaining of Peace and Order (CMPO) over alleged charge of inciting unrest in the country

Reaction by the prominent and well-known Thai-India businessman came after the CMPO director Chalerm Yubamrungh asked the National Police Office to begin the deportation process of Satish.

Chalerm accused Satish of being a foreign national who had colluded with the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) to violate laws on several occasions, including defying the emergency decree;

But Satish questioned the alleged charges, saying although he joined the protest stage of the PDRC several times, he never touched on political issues but on economic and business issues.

Besides, he said he also spoke on issue related to the monarchy which he loved and strongly upheld with the urge that the institution must not be violated by any sides.

“So what charge I am facing?†he said and added it was unfair to accuse him.

He said he has been in Thailand for over 50 years and a Thai although he was born in India at the time his family was stuck in India during the Second World War.

His family moved to Thailand when he was five years old and his brothers and sisters were all born in Thailand.

He said he could not choose where to be born, but what he could choose was he will die in the country he loves.

He said he is single and is taking care of his 90-year-old mother, who is always sick.

As a Thai-Indian businessman, he has devoted his life to promoting trade between Thailand and India since bilateral trade with India was a mere US$100 million to now when it is over one billion US dollars.

He said he had been business advisor to six previous governments and always performed as a good citizen.

He said he received a warrant on the night of January 23 to report to the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) on January 24.

However, he did not report because the time was so short that he could not prepare himself to defend.

He said he would fight the deportation case in court for it was the last resort that justice could be sought.

After news of the attempt to deport him, he said he received over a thousand people and friends giving him morale support.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/category/breakingnews/

Archived