Silom Sundays

Sarisin

This past Sunday I stumbled into a rather pleasant afternoon in Bangkok. I normally head up to Silom Complex for lunch and grocery shopping at TOPS.

What to my surprise when I discovered the traffic was behaving even more erratically than usual as I approached Silom Road.

Well, it turned out they blocked Silom Road through the business district to traffic and opened it only for pedestrians. Plenty of vendors and other interesting stuff. Some sort of bike-a-thon starring good ole Mr. Samak himself. And, then they had these fringed surrey deals for everyone to ride on.

But, now, a couple of items of interest for sanukers.

First, one of the first things I ran into was a product demonstration - like a live infomercial. The product was this ride-on exercise contraption that looked guaranteed to give you spinal contusions if you are an old fart like me.

However, forget about this piece of crap they were selling. Demonstrating the product were five or so of the finest puying specimens in spandex you might ever see. Puddles of drool (at least two from my mouth) were allover the place during this infomercial. Sadly the ubiquitous screaming lady with the microphone deadened my eardrums and made me head for cover as she pitched the Spandexinator or whatever.

As I walked further down Silom I noticed plenty of cute vendors selling their wares. And, yes, there were a few of those vendors too. Wink, wink.

In fact, I ran into no less that a baker's dozen of ladies (some BGs and some straight) I knew. The BGs unabashedly suggested short-times. They had not set up a booth, however. I declined, still somewhat in post orgasmic shock following my Thermae doubleheader which ended only hours before.

But, if you want 'em, fellas, they are there. Grab a couple and buy a Spandexinator.

The weather in Bangkok has been the best these past two weeks that I have seen in the six years I have been here. Last year really sucked, but this year it has been great.

Oh, and I heard these Silom Sundays will be held each and every Sunday at least until the end of the year. Each will have a theme. This one was bicycles. The next is a health/wellness theme.

I'm not sure if they will have one which focuses on gogo girl banging, but I am sure they are looking for suggestions, so....

Not a bad experiment imo. I would prefer Silom closed to vehicle traffic after 7-8 pm every night. The canopy of the skytrain with all those belching busses, motorbikes and autos make for mai dee health especially for the vendors that spend all their working hours there. I know, I know, where is all this traffic to be siphoned? Hell, I only visit Bkk. a couple times a year. Just my 2 ticals worth. --the Pale Rider

It's worth checking out. I wandered out of work early Sunday afternoon and was surprised to see this amount of life (and no cars). The food stalls (mostly in soi convent) were good and really cheap. Just like Khao San Rd. you can get a nice tasy serving of pad-thai for 10 baht. I'll take 2 please.

I wonder if the interest will be sustained for the full 8 weeks? I imagine so, the weather is great. I'm sure the bars along there are welcoming this....especially Shenanigans and O'Reily's.

Archived