Bomb Attacks On Anti-Government Campaigns Continue

Flashermac

Politically-related bomb attacks continued last night with the anti-government Chaeng Wattana protest site the target, although there were no reports of casualties.

Three grenades, believed to be M79s, were fired at the Chaeng Wattana site late last night. Two of them landed inside the 1st Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiment base near the rally site, while another landed near a building, causing slight damage.

Phra Buddha Issara, a senior monk supervising the rally site, said he heard three explosions at about 10.30pm.

He believed that the assailants may have intended to shoot the grenades at the area in which he was located but had missed their target.

A grenade attack also took place at Mongkut Wattana Hospital opposite the rally site. The grenade hit the operation room on the seventh floor of the hospital. No one was injured. The hospital's owner, Dr Rienthong Naenna, is a supporter of the anti-government campaign.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Bomb-attacks-on-anti-government-campaigns-continue-30230219.html

I may be naive, but I grew up with the idea that hospitals are supposed to be neutral territory, absolutely sacrosanct, even in full-on wartime. No matter how much you dislike them, you do NOT hit them, because it might be YOUR guys needing the hospital tomorrow. The same rule requires that hospitals NOT be used as "human shields" for war activities.

This hospital was sprayed with M16 fire last month, which qas a shocker. Although the owner of the hospital supports the protests, he pointed out that the hospital treats the injured of both sides o the squabbles. But as I've said before, don't forget the red shirt invasion of Chulalongkorn Hospital during the red shirt protests three years ago. They pushed people around, threatened the nurses and generally acted like thugs. Thus, the attacks on this hospital are not without precedent.

This hospital is across the street from the government hospital. It is in no way being used as a shield for anything except care for the sick and injured.

Perhaps what was most disturbing about Chulalongkorn Hospital was that Weng, one of the red shirt leaders, is an MD. You might expect him to tell them to keep their hands off a hospital, but he hasn't even tried. It seems nothing is off limits to the red shirts.

M79 grenade attacks also were common during the red shirts' occupation of Ratchadamnern 3 years ago. I don't recall ever seeing a single dud M79 round, not HE, CS or smoke. The fact that so many are occurring now suggests that the ammunition is very old, probably left over the VN War or Khmer Rouge days.

Archived