Hot Thai Babes From The 60's

gawguy

Bangkok in 1973 was officially 3,000,000, though I expect it was somewhat bigger. (The Thai census records people by their house registration, which for many in Bangkok will be somewhere else.) I arrived in March 1973, and the BGs wanted 100 baht "aw nigh". It was the same in the Thermae and other freelancer places. If you liked a girl, you might give her another 100. The massage parlours were more expensive, and I remember paying 300 to get a girl out of the fishbowl for the evening. But remember that my Peace Corps living allowance was just 1,800 baht a month. Still, I ate out almost every night, wore only tailor made clothes and enjoyed myself. GIs here making 6,000 baht or so lived like kings!

Also, the nightlife scene was far less mercenary. If a BG like'd you, she mike just go with you for nothing. Try that nowadays. Plus almost none of them went out for short time. She was yours until the next morning ... and might even stay or lunch!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my first visit to Bangkok was in 1979 on business. I stayed at the InterContinental with its magnificent grounds. I recalled one day I was by the swimming pool

when a bellboy in a white uniform weaning a cap walked by holding a white message board with my name. He had a message for me. It was a scene out of an

old movie.

I was taken to a massage place and experience for the very first time, a body massage, lying wet on a mat with the girl rubbing her body against me. The girl said

after looking at my aroused state that I was ready and wanted "hi roi" for sex. Apparently, my host paid for the massage but not for the other activity.

I was given a local driver and felt like a king. One evening, I was invited to dine at the famous "No Hands" restaurant where the host picked his usual girl who I felt

was the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. She was extremely popular, going from room to room entertaining. I ended up taking my girl back to my hotel at the

InterContinnental where a good time was had by all. To this day, I regret not giving the girl money. I was an inexperienced American not used to paying. Days later,

when I tried to check out, I saw my bill a charge for a hotel guess which complained by speaking to the hotel manager who agreed to take off the charge.

Those were the days!

The Siam InterContinental was fantastic. It was supposed to look like a farmer's hat, which it didn't very much. But the grounds were beautiful. It was almost sacrilege to destroy all that just for more concrete shopping malls. Do you remember the restaurant with the padded silk walls? I've never seen anything like that anywhere else.

http://2bangkok.com/...t-intercon.html

Bangkok was still quite cheap in 1979. I'd say 100 baht had the same purchasing power as 1,000 baht today. My first government contract was 8,550 baht a month. I thought I was rich, and I was by today's standards. I used to go to the Chawala MP once a week, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I think it was maybe 150 baht an hour. I'd go out on Saturdays, but seldom bothered to pick anyone up.

Ah, to be young again. :(

My work colleague got posted to Bangkok as an expat in 1984. Those days, Thailand was classified as a hardship country so his allowance was more than

normal. His lived in a 3 bedroom apt on Sukhumvit soi 34 or 43 (can't remember the exact street). He even had custom furnature made, sofa with silk from

Jim Thompson, Persian carpet, etc. He lived like a king for 2 years. I even visited him during this period. I know a number of expat who got posted to Asia and they

come back with their custom suits and shirts and very jaded. Here in the states, unless you are a CEO or a very senior executive of a major company, you

are just a normal person.

I have also stayed at the Regent and Erawan where I met the current chairman of Bangkok Bank. But the grounds of these places can't be compared to Siam

InterCont.

While I may be older today, I still get around. You can see me nowadays either at Lumpini Park or by the railroad station at night looking for "ladies of the evening" LOL.

The days of being posted and well paid in a foreign country, fo Americans at least, are all but over for private industry.

I was in the tail end in the 80's, 90's and even up to 2005. The big Corps started phasing out the postings and intensely

hiring locals, at a much lower pay scale.

For me, it was common to have your USA salary, which was generous, plus we would work and get paid OT, at least 20 ~ 40

hours a week (at time and 1/2, double on Sundays and triple on Holidays) plus getting a cushy per diem. The company I worked

for took care of all the paperwork in paying any foreign taxes that might be due.

For me, it was a great ride for 20+ years with lots of great memories...and a few blackout periods :drunk:

Stayed at fabulous hotels all over the world! Don't remember the Siam InterContinental...must have been a blackout period :dunno:

The U.S. embassy in Bangkok received a hardship allowance after World War II, since the bridges across the Chao Phaya had been blown and the power plants taken out by Allied bombings in 1945. (The Free Thai underground was decidedly pissed off, since the Allies had agreed to spare one of the power plants, as the Free Thais were sending them daily weather reports and helping guide the bombers in from India. Instead, the bombers destroyed all 3 plants, which meant the city had no electricity and no tap water either!)

The embassy hardship allowance lasted for decades, which provided another reason for career diplomats to try to be assigned here.

I forgot to mention that ST up country was 30 baht. The "water babies" on the sampans at the Elephant Head Bridge went for 15 baht. I remember staying in the Wiengtai Hotel in Banglampoo for 70 baht a night, which was the standard rate for 3 star hotels. You could have a steak at the Thai Yonnok Coffee Shop for 60 baht, but move fast when it came or the waiter would dump Aram Binyo sauce all over it. Ordinary dishes like fried rice were 3 baht from street vendors, 2 1/2 baht for kweitiou. Bus fare was 50 satang. Give the conductor a baht and you got change. Taxis fares ran from 5 to 10 baht for short rides, no more than 20 baht for a trip out to the airport. I had a suit made for 900 baht. My Thai colleagues told me I'd bought the best quality. They bought cheap suits for 400 baht. :p

When I see the prices you quoted, it seem like it was ancient history but of course while a long time ago but not that long ago.

while I have not been back to Bangkok in a couple of years, street food is still relatively cheap at25-30 baht for a bowl of noodles, haircut and a shave for 60 or so baht, taxis are still inexpensive compared to the states. 3 stars hotels in Bangkok are 1,200 baht ++ and housing is still much less than the states.

a cup of starbucks coffee here in the states costs just under $2 but their "reserve" coffee is twice that amount. I think Starbucks in Bangkok is just as high.

A lot of inflation in the last year or two. That 25 baht street meal will be 35 to 45 baht now. Taxis no change, and the drivers say they don't want an increase ... fearing they'd get fewer passengers.

Thais are insane with Starbucks, thinking it is somehow hi-so. I always see lines of people waiting to get into Starbucks. The same lines are common at Pizza Hut. :shakehead

Archived