Junta Wants Sweeping Reforms Before Election

Flashermac

WTF do I know. I only have lived here for decades and speak the language fluently. I suppose the "buzz on the streets" is in English. :dunno:

I'm not supporting the "Buzz"

just an an opinion from me

One of the best sources I find to be taxi drivers. I always chat them up and pick up tidbits of information (some true, some just rumours). What I heard from a couple of drivers today was that a lot of folks are pissed off at everyone - PT, whistleblowers, the Democrats and the military. All the drivers want to do is make a living, and things don't really change much for them no matter who is in charge.

p.s. I presume the coup proceeded with an "assumed" green light, that is, nothing said either way.

Obviously remain neutral, but say enough to show them that you understand what is going on. Then they will open up. I've found far fewer of them to be red shirt backers than most people expect. Many seem to have become disillusioned with all politicians.

• Like 1

..reforms subtitled “Get the Shinawatras at all costsâ€

If what they propose really is as crude as that, then Prayuth and Suthep’s cronies absolutely deserve to lose the next decade’s elections too. Why are they so puerile?

Why don’t opposition parties stay within the democratic framework and beat the Shinawatras at their own game, by helping all Thais to a better life, not just the Bangkok elite and their power base in the south?

Is the military dictatorship going to test their reforms in a referendum before an election or impose them as a fait accompli.

Any army that fears its own people is doomed to ultimate failure.

Obviously the eventual "success" of this coup or military intervention will hinge entirely on reinstating an ongoing

system of fair and democratic elections that yes acknowledges all Thais. This will be extremely difficult given the enormous division and the very deep level of corruption(.IMO the same could be said of the US.) But life marches on.. Play nice.

roboes et all,

how do one help all the voters even if one truely wanted to given the humongous difference across the country and villages.

even within bkk there is pretty much a flavor of everything thai and where/near flasher lives is almost a red shirt village if im not mistaken (don muang)!

so IF we imagined reforms before election could give a fat kickass start to bringing the interests of thais closer from the poorest farmer to the richest corrupt families well maybe some kind of fair elections with accepted outcome and useful policies may go ahead to make believers and sceptics of thai democrazy party together without a curfew ;)