Teacher Filmed Whipping Students With Cane

Boo Radley

When I was at school, also a long time ago, the regime was also somewhat strict in many respects than might be said today of similar western schools, with one particular exception, a teacher who engaged with his students and never to my knowledge ever had a need to discipline any pupil. His exam results were startlingly better than any other teachers, even for the same subject, wonder why.

Of course if all you seek is obedience then it's as easy with a rod as anything. If results are more your thing then approach and vision can be far more productive though they require more effort and understanding. Whilst there might be exceptions in every class, I'm sure there are, I think most pupils can achieve more as a result of engagement and interest than through threat and intimidation.

I just wonder, do children stand up in class in other countries when a teacher enters the class room as a sign of respect.

It makes me smile if I walk into a class of first year university students at the opening of the term and I hear ... "Stand up, please." And then, "Good morning, teacher," said in unison. "I know the routine, so I go through the dialogue w, then tell them to sit down. It smile, since I know by the second week they will have been clued in by the older students that "you don't do that in a university!"

Another story from my boyfriend, regarding a woman teacher of 35 years, who shouted at a girl for a doing something wrong, the girl cried and reported the teacher to her mother who demanded action be taken against the teacher. This lead to a full investigation by the school of which all the children knew about to their amusement.

The teacher frustrated that no one appeared to care at the time gave her notice in. Till it came to the attention of nearly all the other parents, who signed a petition saying they had complete faith in her teaching methods, and wanted their children disciplined in what every way she thought fit.

Some of the parents had even been educated by her and knew she was strict but a very good teacher.

Damn, I need to get a new keyboard. Plus maybe some more ram chips or my brain. :(

When I was a student back in the 20th century, we could get smacked with a paddle, made to stand in the corner, forced to wear a dunce cap if we failed a test etc. Any one of those acts today would get a teacher fired and probably unable to get another job teaching anywhere.

I went to catholic schools through University (1975). In grade school, I was forced to kneel for an entire day. At a Jesuit high school, the freshman football coach came from behind in the class he was teaching to hit me in the back of the head for talking in class ( and because I wouldn't go out for the football team). Today, in the US, school is much better for the majority of students who are there to study and follow procedures. If you can't behave, you aren't diciplined, but moved along to the next grade until you either drop out or graduate from HS. I'm just waiting for another year for the 2 year probation to end for the last arrest of my Thai step son and force him to join the military. By that time, I'm pretty sure he will be ready to get out on his own and away from me.

My grandmother was smacked so many times by the nuns as a girl that she asked her mother if she "had to be a Catholic". Her mother said yes. But when she was old enough, grandma married a Protestant and never set foot in a Catholic church again except at relatives' funerals. So much for instilling respect for the faith by force.