Thai Concertgoers

The reports of Thai concertgoers walking out half-way through the Elton John concert have I must admit, upset me a little and prompted me to wonder what it is exactly that Thais look for in a concert. They’d heard one of the all-time greats perform ‘Your Song’ and ‘Daniel’ – two of the most beautiful songs ever written by the brilliant Bernie Taupin – and still they weren’t satisfied. Is it simply because they don’t know the songs and can’t sing or mouth along to them or is it simply because they like to hear that between-song banter (which I’m sure most of them don’t understand anyway) and when they don’t get it they view the concert as boring and a waste of time. Would the audience reaction that blighted Elton’s concert be the same if Celine Dion came to Bangkok and didn’t do that lovely song from Titanic, Richard Marx didn’t perform ‘Right Here Waiting’, or Micheal Learns to Rock decided they’d had enough of ‘Sleeping Child’. I certainly know I’ve had enough of it.

I remember going to see Ralph McTell years ago and the crowd was shouting, begging him for ‘Streets of London’. He refused to do it because quite simply he was bored with it. I respected him for that. I would love to have heard it but the concert was still great with or without ‘Streets of London’. For me anyway, Don McClean doesn’t have to do American Pie and Paul Simon doesn’t have to sing Homeward Bound in order for me to enjoy a concert. I remember Paul Simon at the Birmingham NEC in the 1980’s and he came on stage and did about 8 numbers and never said a friendly word to the audience. In fact he didn’t say a word period. When someone shouted “Paul, say something” Paul Simon fixed him with an icy stare and replied “One day we’re all gonna die” and went into 50 ways to Leave Your Lover. Concerts aren’t about listening to witty repartee and knowing the name of the fucking drummer, they are about experiencing and admiring musical genius.

When I look back at the concerts that I’ve been to in Bangkok, I realize that the successful ones have been the ones where musical talent have not been high on the importance list. I saw Erasure at a nightclub on Ratchadapisek Rd and they were brilliant but the Thais loved it because the gorgeous Andy Bell minced around like a tart with his shirt off for most of the gig. Only the farangs were singing along to Erasures multitude of hits and most of the stuff was from the ‘Cowboy’ album, which was widely released in Thailand. Had any Thais actually bought the bloody thing?!

Similarly when Shed Seven played MBK hall, they performed the track ‘Speakeasy’ no fewer than three times. It was in my opinion the worst track on the whole debut album but the only one that had received extensive airplay in Thailand and thus the only one the Thais could sing along with.

I wonder just how many Thais went to the Elton John concert on Tuesday realizing that the man has one of the most impressive back catalogues in music. Did they not know that Elton is a man who most of us would rather associate with albums like ‘Goodbye Yellow Brick Road’, ‘A Single Man’ and ‘Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy’ rather than third rate Walt Disney shite. The fact the people would not know all this and still shell out 7,000 baht for a concert ticket kinda worries me a little.

We don’t get enough gigs in Bangkok as it is. But how successful would bands like U2 be over here on concert night? U2 are a band with an amazing discography yet I bet you 99% of Thais couldn’t tell you one U2 song. Thais wouldn’t be interested in seeing one of the best stage shows in the rock business, hearing a voice that’s second to none (I could listen to Bono singing a telephone directory), or listening to the Edge’s guitar work. No, they’d much rather have Robbie Williams telling us he’s been in Take That and two Spice Girls and showing us his buttocks. Sad

How does it go again? Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you, whatever it takes, or how………ZZZZZZZZ

From listening to the comments of some of the Thais in my office that went to the Elton John gig,I get the impression that many were disappointed, not because of the lack of banter or by the songs performed. The reason they were displeased was simply that they expected far more in the way of a show for the 7,000 baht tickets. More of a show in the sense of more people on stage, more lights, more special effects basically more "suay"!! I do agree with them in some sense, I would never pay over one hundred pounds to see a concert, unless it was something along the lines of 'Live-Aid' and would be disappointed to see just a guy sat behind a piano. After all, you are paying for the show and the experience, if you just wanted to listen to the music with little atmosphere then buy the CD.

Just my opinion.

P.S. I agree with you about Elton though, he seems to be an even bigger girls blouse than he used to be.

Phil, Roger, solid posts, gents. But I ran this one past the Thaifriend [a big EJ fan] and our consensus is... Having a 7000baht ticket to wave under someone's nose BEFORE the concert could be more important than actually sitting through the whole thing. After all, it's only falang music. Since you have the ticket, go for a while, hope someone you know sees you, maybe call someone on the mobile so they can hear you there and then leave when you get hungry.

haha @ flyonzewall..... I agree. Also agree with Bohicasia. It's all just wanky prestige. A guy at my office has already been flashing his ticket around with a smug little smile. It's actually not a ticket as such, but looks more like a credit card.. a souvenir for life! I imagine that this ticket cost this guy his monthly wage. Got to be crazy.

quote:

Originally posted by bohicasia:

Phil, Roger, solid posts, gents. But I ran this one past the Thaifriend [a big EJ fan] and our consensus is... Having a 7000baht ticket to wave under someone's nose BEFORE the concert could be more important than actually sitting through the whole thing. After all, it's only falang music. Since you have the ticket, go for a while, hope someone you know sees you, maybe call someone on the mobile so they can hear you there and then leave when you get hungry.

LOL, classic!

I have to agree with some of the other posts that it may be more of a status symbol for most of the locals and the fact that the show wasn't flashy.

At first I was a little disapointed myself when Elton first came on stage alone. But then he said that it was was just going to him, us and his piano and I was truly amazed at his talent to carry on a 2+ hour show all by himself. I really enjoyed it even if the Thais didn't.

Archived