What is this suture?

stumpy

Hi, I recently had a small surgical procedure performed under local anaethesia.

The surgeon started to suture with dissolving thread but then changed to a different type of suture. This was thicker, brown in colour and has a plastic feel to it.

Can anyone take a guess as to what this second suture is and why the surgeon would change from the thinner suture.

Also the surgeon stated the sutures would fall out by themselves and therefore would not need removing.

Thanks in advance,

Stump_Dog.

i'd assumed when u said that the suture would fall out spontaneously that you meant it was an absorbable suture - i guess this is still the case if the surgeon said they'd fall out as no non-absorbable sutures eg nylon or prolene would 'fall out' spontaneously (not within a few weeks at any rate, unless the surgeon was crap at knot tying)

impossible to name your suture based on info u gave - 'plastic feel' suggests a nylon/prolene type material, brown might suggest chromic coating eg chromic catgut (which is what i guess it porbably was)

all sutures come in metallic packages, the colour of the pack varies with the company making the suture

-what op was it for and in which country was it performed and also why do u care what suture it was??

Thanks Hansum Man,

I guess it is impossible for you to say without seeing the suture. I didn't realise there was such a range and hoped my description might be enough.

I had the operation in the UK and was curious as to why the surgeon had stopped using a dissolving suture and swapped to this thick and uncomfortable suture.

Also I considered if the sutures didn't drop out as he suggested and if they were non-absorbable I would have to go back for the nurse to remove them. I was just trying to use the knowledge on the board to predict the near future.

Cheers,

Stump_Dog.

The suture was catgut, plain or chromic. A dissolving suture or a suture that will fall out by itself-both mean the same thing. Your surgeon may have decided to use a thicker suture for more tensile strength in pulling the wound edges together.

oh, the op was in the uk?

then the brown suture was probably chromic catgut which is an absorbable suture coated to prolong the length of time before biodegrading - the length of time will depend on the dianeter of the suture - which in turn would depend on the tissues/part of the body being sutured

as to why he changd from one suture to another would again depend on the op and body part involved - if he thought u were the squemish type who wouldn't cope with the thought of having sutures removed later then he could use an absorbable

Archived