Use Carrot And Stick To Rein In Rogue Cabbies

Coss

" I rarely have a problem with the cabbies :dunno: "

Me too, 80,000 taxi's Bangkok, hard working and just trying to make a living, but of course they don't make for good blog value video and news.

80,000? The number passed 100,000 years ago and is probably more like 150,000 these days. Long time cabbies complain about it, since there are now so many that they can hardly make a living these days. A number of Issan drivers told me they were thinking about quitting and just going home to plant rice. Some days they are lucky to break even, considering what they have to pay to rent a fairly decent taxi for 12 hours.

80,000? The number passed 100,000 years ago and is probably more like 150,000 these days. Long time cabbies complain about it, since there are now so many that they can hardly make a living these days. A number of Issan drivers told me they were thinking about quitting and just going home to plant rice. Some days they are lucky to break even, considering what they have to pay to rent a fairly decent taxi for 12 hours.

I hear these stories too. But then I see the 3 taxi guys at my appartment building. All 3 rent their cars for all day. All 3 drive around using their meter. And all 3 earn enough too spend a large part of the day doing nothing at the condo. I have never heard them complain about barely breaking even :p

" It's truly amazing now in several posts you have condoned and defended cheaing "

Next you will be saying you have never downloaded a pirate film or music from the internet, or bought a copy watch or something similar.

" I guess she has never gotten a taxi when it's raining! :neener: "

All the time and late at night too, I think you must be joking having spent a life time in Bangkok you think I woud have any difficulty geting a taxi .... Where I live we have something called a mobile phone, and ring a taxi to collect you from the house or from wherever within minutes, of course you have pay 20 baht surcharge ......

I don't leave home when it's raining. Try and find one when when you are downtown and it is belting down!

I don't keep taxi numbers on my phone, and even if I did they'd have a fine time making their way through the traffic to get to me. One night I was already in a taxi when a thunderstorm hit, and it took me 1 1/2 hours to get home from Panthip Plaza - instead of the usual 20 minutes. And it was still raining when I got there.

" It's truly amazing now in several posts you have condoned and defended cheaing "

Next you will be saying you have never downloaded a pirate film or music from the internet, or bought a copy watch or something similar.

Just keep justifying yourself, you do that long enough, you will believe yourself.

• Like 1