Remote working from BKK - how,where?

bibblies

I'd like to do a bit of work from here that would be greatly assisted by being able to use PC Anywhere or something like that. Problem is that I've got no laptop or PC.

Can anyone recommend somewhere like an Internet cafe or somesuch that would have this, or allow you to install it?

Hi bibblies,

[color:red]an Internet cafe or somesuch that would have this, or allow you to install it?color=red>

Seriously, I'm not mocking you....but what's "this" and "it"?

I do remote work from BKK -- but then I do have a laptop.

Cheers,

Straycat

Aaah Bibblies ....

Assuming that you could find an Internet cafe which would install the (often costly) products you need (PC Anywhere is just one possible solution), you have the issue of SECURITY to consider.

I am assuming that you are connecting to your own office, and that you have someone there who maintains your network etc. Please talk to this person - you really need professional help.

Hi Straycat,

I think the poster is refering to PC Anywhere.

Bibblies, For what it's worth I've never seen an internet cafe machine with this loaded. I'm sure you could find an internet cafe that would let you load it but there is a security implication.

Could you not put the files you need whilst you are away on to a CD or upload them to a webserver somewhere?

stumpdog-

Ah....yeah, you are of course right! I did a rather sloppy reading of the post. My apologies.

Likewise, I've not seen "PC Anywhere" installed at the few Internet Cafés I've visited.

However, it would not surprise me if you can convince the shopkeeper to install it if you bring a copy.

Cheers,

Straycat

Surely PC Anywhere wouldn't be that costly in Panthip!

I'm in contact with the right people. I'm only going to be transferring a few files, checking a database and changing some configuration settings on a web server. Done it before, albeit on a telephone line. Surely all I need this time is the IP address, userid and password?

"...you have the issue of SECURITY to consider..."

Yes. If you are doing work for a commercial client over the net, you'd be wise to set up a VPN (virtual private network).

If you really can work with just remote solution like PCAnywhere you might be interested in software called VNC (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/) Good thing about VNC is fact that it's free.

It includes normal client for remote connections that you can install in web cafe (just don't ask them...) and also java client that you can access with any browser!

It's definitely huge security risk, though.

In my line of business (web software development) I can pretty easily take all needed stuff with me into laptop and then just send all changes to version control system so that would be more efficient way to work.

Hope this helps and have a good time in BKK.

Archived