Sun Yang Mystery

baa99

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3191311/Swimming-Sun-Yang-shock-withdrawal-1-500m-final.html

China's Sun Yang was a shock late withdrawal from the final of the men's 1,500 metres freestyle at the world championships on Sunday.

Sun, the reigning world and Olympic champion and world record holder, was the hot favourite for gold but did not show up at the starting blocks despite having warmed up for the race.

Italy's Gregorio Paltrinieri won the gold in Sun's absence.

"I feel very sorry that I couldn't be present for the 1500m," Sun told reporters.

"I didn't feel good in my heart. Today I felt really uncomfortable at the pool during my warm-up and I had to give up the idea of competing. I feel really sorry about that.

"It happened after the warm-up as I was preparing for the competition. It is the first time I have felt uncomfortable in competition."

In a separate incident in morning training at the pool, Brazil head coach Alberto Pinto confirmed that Sun had attacked Brazilian swimmer Larissa Oliveira.

The Brazilian Aquatic Sports Federation made a formal complaint to FINA, swimming's world ruling body, Globo.com reported.

--------------------------------------

So, did Yang grope the Brazilian swimmer in the pool?

Seems it is a case of DYKWIA.

"He was warming up and he pulled the Brazilian girl's foot," said the coach. "He ran her over. She got angry and had it out with him. He tried to elbow her and kick her.

"So then the Brazilian coaches went to speak to him. He said she was bothering him and one of the coaches said that the pool wasn't just his. Everyone was at the side of the pool, and they were all swearing at each other.

"There were about 15 people right up at him. But there wasn't any violence."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/swimming/chinese-olympic-champion-sun-yang-accused-of-attacking-brazilian-swimmer-larissa-oliveira-20150810-givkfr.html#ixzz3iQqhpNx3

Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook