Democrat Slams 3 Years Of Education Written Out Of Constitution

Flashermac

The ruling troika in politics is 1) the Thai Chinese billionaires, 2) the traditional "elite" (lesser royals and descendants of the old aristocracy), and 3) the military. Thaksin managed to offended two of the three by his power grrabs.

p.s. Takky's biggest mistake was to bring the military under his control, appointing his own relatives and classmates loyal to him to important positions, including the police.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaiyasit_Shinawatra

"As a cousin of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, his unexpected appointment was criticised as an act of nepotism. Both General Chaiyasit and the Defence Minister, General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, denied accusations of nepotism. "If I'm appointed to a significant post in the Army because of my connection with the prime minister, I won't have any friends left in the armed forces," said Chaiyasit. Gen Chavalit said that Thaksin would not interfere with any high-level military reshuffles, and "It's a shame that the prime minister's name was tainted by such a groundless rumour."

A retired colonel told me Chaiyasit was not popular in the Army and would never have become C-in-C of the Army without Thaksin's interference.

• 2 weeks later...