Prepping 2nd HD to act as C: drive

Great!

I suggest that you DO assemble your own computers. I always do so that I can pick and choose exactly which components and component manufacturers I want.

I hope to do eactly this, circumstances permitting. I would opt for price and stay on my current last-generation setup, probably.

For me that's an Aopen AX3S motherboard/Intel 815E chipset,

A P3 processor at about 800Mhz and fan,

A 16X CD-ROM/DVD,

A who-cares floppy drive,

A mid-tower ATX case with 250W PSU and an extra fan

A who-cares 56K external modem

I'm also going to splurge and get a NIC so I can run a cable-modem -- recommendations welcome.

I've got Win98 so no other OS needed.

I've got a serviceable 10 GB Seagate HD that runs at 7200/100 and a 128 Rage video card to slap on. So that much is covered. The video card also does away with the need to buy a TV ;-)

All this might be 'distasteful' to those who go for the newer stuff, but I understand the above system very well and it does very well the things I like to do: surf the 'net, run servers [again I want a cable modem!], play dull old games and watch the occasional DVD.

I'm never going to be a hard core gamer so a huffing new processor or top-of-the-line video card isn't needed.

Now all that said, the one thing I haven't found on all the links kindly provided is a description of exactly what happens when you've put all the parts together and turn on the computer for the first time...

Rather like expecting the birth of a child, I guess.

If everything goes correctly, I'd think the thing will just power up, do POST and then look for a system disk. Am I right? And my system in such a state can read the CD-ROM and boot from the Win CD -- will every system be that ready to go? [CD drivers already onboard the motherboard?] or is there another trick I need to know? Boot from the Win floppy? Or what?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I didn't switch the bootable drives on Win 98. Did it with Windows 2000 and XP.

As for putting your own computer together, yes, when you turn it on after putting it all together is the moment of truth. You pray you don't get a bunch of message beeps from the motherboard. LOL.

Other than that, it should post. The easiest thing is if you have a bootable CD. If you don't have a bootable CD, you need to make bootable floppies. Previously, you could use a dos drive with MSCDEX.exe and the CD drives driver. Then you can run setup from the CD drive after you access it. Windows 2000 and 98 worked this way. Tried this with Windows XP but it wouldn't install. Then found out my friends burnt copy of Windows XP was bootable and practically went ballistic cause that was one of my first questions I asked. Serves me right for not checking.

Let me know if you need a hand putting your computer together. I put mine together 11 months ago smile.gif

<<burp>>

Bootable CD? I assume you mean the drive, not the disque?

How does one know? Is it really a function of the drive or the drive being compatible with the BIOS? [i.e. a generic hlaf-assed CD-RM driver already on board?]

I stopped buying Acer components once I had a problem and couldn't get any support from anyone. Not even a reply.

(That said, I recently bought an Acer LCD display in Panthip 'cause it was the cheapest one around.)

I swear by Asus Motherboards. Never had a problem and they have good support.

As for modem, I always try to get a hardware-controller modem. It seems to make Windoze more stable. I couldn't find one in Panthip when I looked a couple months ago, though.

I mean bootable CD. Not the drive, the disk. Windows XP CD's are inherently bootable because (as I've discovered) you can't run the setup through a dos boot. Has to be a MS Windows boot (not sure which version it has to be though). The computer BIOS should see the CD drive automatically and you can indicate the CD drive as the initial boot drive on modern motherboards. Problem with Windows 98 and 2000 CD's (least if I remember right) is that they were not bootable, so one needed to make a dos boot CD with the dos CD driver in it so it can recognize the drive. Just because the BIOS can see it doesn't necessarily mean the OS can see it.

Bootable is a function of the media and not the drive, whether it be a diskette, hard drive, or CD. The designated boot sector needs to be there with the correct information.

As for the CD drive, I recommend getting Sony or Toshiba (or another name brand). The cost factor over no name OEM brands is diminimus for a CD drive and pretty small for a DVD drive.

<<burp>>

The issue of boot is moot, so to speak. I'm taking the 10 Gig drive with me and it's already good to go with an OS. Slapping it into a new assembly, it should boot and the play driver-bingo for a half-hour [or less if I go with cheaper last generation hardware, maybe duplicating my current set up exactly -- would that be too clever/cheap?]

I agree about the CD-DVD drive. Better not to skimp. My current one is a Toshiba and it's worked perfectly in two different computers. Never had to give it a second thought.

<<ralph>>

Archived