T/Cheque Question

Lusty

OH:

when you bring the ATM cards, is one with a savings account?

also.. did you have to change your pin to 4 digit (if it was higher) to use in Thailand?

troydeere

no problem, done this before more than once (in Brazil)

if they really want to see the receipt (never happened to me in 20 years): you are NOT supposed to keep the receipt together with the checks, you are supposed to keep it separated from the checks (I usually leave it in my homecountry) as the receipt is your insurance policy - try to tell them or go to another bank

BTW there is no need for the person cashing a TC to be the person who bought the TC. TCs can be endorsed just like any other check. This is why TCs are accepted by hairdressers in the US (try this in Thailand!). There will be several different signatures on the check. But I would not want to try to explain this to a Thai bank clerk sitting in his exchange booth.

as mentioned before, nowadays ATMs are much better than TCs

in asia, several times i had to show my receipt. usually when some cashier refused to accept my counter signiture and i had to go to another bank with the already countersigned cheque.

ATM cards are only good in countries like thailand. there are more than a few countries where you will have serious difficulties finding an ATM machine outside the capitols.

Didn't see an answer to this so thought I would jump in. Hope OH does not mind...

You can use atm cards that are tied to either checking or savings acct.

I think all overseas ATMs require the use of a 4-digit pin. Make sure that you ask your bank to change it before you leave your country if it is longer than 4 digits. Also, would suggest you use a 4 -digit number to remember your pin (vs a name or something with letters) because the English alphabet letters aren't always on the foreign ATM keyboards.

The only problem i can see is that if they are lost or god forbid stolen then the reciept will be in your name not hers. They wouldn't give her new travellers cheques. Is it really worth the 1 1/2% commision to know she's safe ??

Archived