Rugby - Wallabies V NZ Maori

gobbledonk

We're not far away from kickoff in the first game for the new-look Wallaby lineup, and I've gotta say that I am a little nervous. Under John Eales, we Aussies became very confident about our team's chances against all comers, particularly the previously unbeatable All-Blacks. The Maori have only 6 All-Blacks (gulp!), but the others arent exactly newcomers to the game. Still, if they cant cut it tonight, faint hope in the trying months ahead. The French, among others, would like nothing better than to give them a thumping.

Tonight, Eales is in the commentary box, and I hope he has a Green-and-Gold outfit under that suit, and that there is a phone booth for him to change in smile.gif

I also hope they give Mat Rogers a run from the bench - his transition from League has been a lot less high-profile than fellow Kangaroo Wendell Sailor. That's Rogers style - while everyone else is concentrating on the 'stars', he's quietly scoring tries and kicking goals. Watch out for a slightly built back who looks like he got lost on his way to the indoor cricket. If he gets the ball in broken play, you'll see how wrong first impressions can be. smile.gif

Whew - the Wallabies got away with it - just !

What looked like a foregone conclusion at 27-11 changed into a cliffhanger when the Maori turned on an incredible 3 try spree in 4 minutes (that's f-o-u-r !). The ref drew out the agony, not blowing the whistle until the 43 minute mark - ouch ! The Wallabies were left to dig deep in those last 3 minutes, and I think I left teethmarks on my couch.

Final score 27-23. Next, the spiteful French smile.gif

I was introduced to the All Blacks by a NZ girl I was seeing a few years ago and kept track of them somewhat since. Plus I have friends there.

I have their cap and once in a while someone will recognize it.

Congrats. Those Maoris are very good. They're the pride of NZ obviously, that and the America's Cup sailing.

Rugby is actually fairly popular on some universities in the northeast US. Its seen as a somewhat elitist sport because its typically played by the more elite colleges (Ivy league).

How do you think you'll do against the French?

Steve said:

Rugby is actually fairly popular on some universities in the northeast US. Its seen as a somewhat elitist sport because its typically played by the more elite colleges (Ivy league).

It WAS very much the game of private school brats for a long time, but has made great inroads into all levels of Australian society in the last 10 years - only the most diehard League fans would try to ignore it today. There is still a tendency for the bright young things (of both sexes) to dash out to the 'Rugger' in their Sunday best because it is seen as the thing to do for the Yuppie set. Must be painful for their tender ears to be asssaulted with cries of 'Get off 'im, ya mongrel !' from the newly-arrived hoi-polloi smile.gif

I think they'll do well against the French, although that 4-minute lapse is a concern. I was heartened by their grim determination to hang on in that last 3 minutes - thats the sort of defense that wins games. The French team has a long history of being very nasty in the forwards (see Normans vs England, 1066), and I'm sure they'll be at their eye-gouging, squirrel-gripping best for this game .....

Viva Le Wallabies !

Rugby is more popular than u think here in the states. It played all over the states.

I started my rugby playing while going to High School in New York City. Our school had no field since we were located in the outskirts of Village in chelsea. We played other high school teams in the city and also college clubs. The greatest thing for us was to travel and play all over the country and canada. We traveled to Toronto and also California to play. While attending school in the midwest ( Nebraska Football Country) rugby was popular especially for the parties after the game.

I would say rugby is a big deal today in the states and is more popular than that roundball game they try to call football.

Archived