BKK Computer prices

I live in Bangkok 15 days a month and have been lugging my old Compaq laptop back and forth for years...well the laptop finally said good bye and is shot. Question, buy a new laptop in the US (around 63,000 baht for a really good new Compaq) or, and my choice...get a nice big PC with a 17 monitor from Pantip ?? I was on the 3rd floor by the escalator at Robinsons a few days ago and saw a PC display but can't remember the price. Any suggestions guys. jim

A laptop is pointless if the computer doesn't actually need to trasvel with you, IMHO. I'd say get a desktop.

For where to buy I'd highly recommend you speak with Danny Speight at DCO [around On Nut]. He'll custom build to your specification, uses mostly Acer/Aopen components, is part owned by NEC of Thailand and provides the best service and aftercare/waranty work you could ever hope for.

Here are some links I posted recently:

If you want to see some of what?s available at Pantip and do some price comparisons here are some websites of stores there:

www.hwhinter.com

www.famous.co.th

www.swngroup.com

www.mdcomputer.co.th

www.incom.th.com

www.irr.co.th

www.sysinfosystem.com

www.worldbusiness.co.th.

These two seem to specialize in notebooks:

www.cptech.co.th

www.notebook-house.com

and this one network stuff:

www.pheenet.com

If you keep travelling to BKK, I'd say buy a laptop. Prices have come down in the last year and there are some models out there that almost equal the performance of the best desktops. If you, like most people, just use the computer for internet surfing, online banking, using a word processor and a spread sheet program, the occasional gaming, you should be more than fine with a top of the line notebook. I bought one and am very happy I did. Unless I start doing some serious video editing, I will stick with my trusty laptop.

Cheers,

soongmak

I'm also interested in Danny Speight at DCO [around On Nut]. I'm in the process of shopping for a desktop, and I'd like to visit Danny, but I need more specific information on his location.

THANKS!

be careful about buying desktops from those little shops in panthip, check the components that they put in there first. the best way to go for a desktop is custom build it yourself (or get a friend you know who can do it) on of the cheapest component suppliers in panthip is www.famous.co.th

for laptops ATEC are one of the best value for money, compaqs are great but you're paying for the name. you can get a P4 1.6 ATEC for around 55,000 baht (inc VAT). the equivalent compaq is over 70k.

Thank you guys for the information. I'm going to check out every place suggested and will post the "experience" of buying a new PC in Bangkok along with how it all worked out. jim

Archived