Which operating system do you think is best?

spirit_of_town_hall

Hi!

That's probaly one reason why Apple has such a small market share compared to IBM PC and compatibles. If Apple had adopted an open arctechture regarding bothe soft- and hardware ifrom the beginning it might have been the other way around.

regards

ALHOLK

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>The question was which OS is the best, not which is most >wide spread or which company is best at marketing their >products and making money.

Yeahhh. Betamax was superior to VHS and we all know what happened...

>In the 70:ies IBM was the largest computer company in the >world, about 4 times the size of no. 2 (DEC). I think most >computer scientists then did agree that they didn't make the >best computers.

To change my signature a little:

Business make money. No make money him scientist.

Nobody has ever been fired for choosing IBM or Microsoft.

Do you see Macs evicting Wintels anywhere in the world? They are struggling to stay in the saddle.

I have been in heavy duty computing environments since 1985. Do you know the feeling DEC customers have after their platform of choice changed two hands (Compaq, HP) and is not supported for much longer? Would you want to get a job on DEC Vax today and get a morgage based on it?

Religious wars - love em !

My 2 cents :

Get RedHat Linux 7.3 :

- well sorted Linux distro that almost installs itself

- one of the best in terms of compatibility with your hardware

- comes with Ximian Evolution, the MS Outlook killer we have all waited so very long for ...

- Linux has made quantum leaps in terms of usability

- 7.3 comes with StarOffice 5.2, which Sun are now charging for. Please read my review of 6.0 in another thread.

Linux is very close to the stage where you do not have to know ANY Unix-specific commands to simply use it (I recommend you learn them, but you can do most things through the GUI). Developments in its Windows Emulator (WINE) mean that you can still access many of the apps you are not prepared to leave behind.

Good Luck.

If you are still under the impression that Linux is just for geeks, this:

Wal-Mart shipping PCs with Lindows pre-installed

Friday June 14, 2002 - [ 01:29 PM GMT ]

Topic - GNU/Linux - - by Tina Gasperson -

In a move that appears to be a coup for Michael Robertson et al, Wal-Mart's online store is offering eight different Microtel PCs with LindowsOS included. The computers sell for USD$299 to $599 and ship in one to seven days.

NewsForge originally reviewed Wal-Mart's OS-less PCs, a dramatic move away from the standard Windows-based home computer. Now the retailer is advertising systems with the LindowsOS distribution pre-installed, no longer just moving away from Windows, but now directly competing with it:

"These computers do not ship with Microsoft Windows. They ship with an exciting new UNIX based Operating System (OS) named Lindows. This exciting new OS delivers the stability of UNIX with the ease of Windows and the ability to run most Microsoft programs. These computer systems are a perfect low cost alternative to computers preloaded with Microsoft Windows."

To say that Lindows runs most Microsoft programs is a bit of a stretch. Wal-Mart says the PCs come with "mail, word processor, web browser, address book, calculator, cd player, MP3 player, Microsoft PowerPoint viewer, Word viewer, and Excel viewer," and buyers get to select three "free" Click-N-Run applications from the Lindows.com warehouse (of GPLed KDE-based software, we might add.)

No need to be concerned about the PCI 56k modems that come with the Microtel systems -- according to this NewsForge report, Microtel is shipping Linux-compatible modems in these systems.

For a really cheap setup, get the $299 system, add a USD$49 HP printer (most of HPs printers work with Linux) and a 15" Microtel monitor for USD$119. And if you're especially Wal-Mart loyal, you can even add a subscription to the company's ISP service, called Wal-Mart Connect, for USD$9.94 a month.

As many Linux users are bullies if not biggots the original story contains additional comments, platitudes and tirades

http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/06/14/1316203

Archived