Which operating system do you think is best?

spirit_of_town_hall

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

Of the operating systems I have used VMS is by far the best. 15 years ago it outperformed anything that MicroShaft sell today. Unfortunately there aren't so many computers it will run on today. frown.gif

Appart from that I would say it depends largely on what you are going to with it and how computer savy you are. I personally find stable Linus distributions to be much better than Win9x and at least as good as Windows2000. Hoowever i think it does palce a certain demand on your knowledge of Unix-like systems to run a Linux OS.

regards

ALHOLK

Ask adikgede....

To answer your query.

In reply to:

Hi there guys just wondering which operating system you guys thought was the best in terms of reliability and consistency.

Reliability and consistency?

UNIX. Why?

Most of Microsoft's website are run on UNIX servers, for stability of course.

For the average homo sapien?

Apple's OS X. Why?

It's core is BSD UNIX with training wheels.

What do I use? Both. But primarily win xp pro since most of my apps are for wintels. For basic email, websurfing, and mild photoshop stuff I use OS X.

Linux is not really a contender for "average" folks since the high learning curve. Plus, hardware support/drivers are lacking. The least painful installation for Linux would be the latest Mandrake distro.

This might not be the popular answer, but I am very happy with windows XP. Before that I used windows 98 SE and windows 95, both crashed repeatedly. Sofar, I have had no crashes on windows XP. The only problem I have had sofar, were some individual programs that crashed, but I never had to reboot the computer or lost anything in other programs I was working on simultaneously. It is also very userfriendly and solved many of the little annoyances I had with the former OS'es.

If you're only semi computer literate like me, I can really recommend it.

Cheers,

soongmak

For me Windows XP is the best by a mile!!!

My computer background: semi-literate (compared to the general population) computer user, main uses: frequent web-browsing, word processing, powerpoint presentations, statistical analysis, CD-ROM books, storing and minimal manipulation of digital photos, downloading/storing MP3's

I agree. I may qualify as semi computer literate (barely). I have WIN98 on my desktop, which was my 1st and only OS until I got a laptop with XP so you know where I?m coming from. I'm in love with my laptop/XP. I'd be a content man if only it could cook and had a..........never mind.blush.gif

I would say that it depends on what type of software you plan on using currently and in the future.

I personally use XP pro allows me to use certain applications that I couldn't use on Win2000. XP is still a little buggy and I have crashed a couple of times but I use a lot of different apps. I'm not complining since mine is a crack.

Archived