Sukhumvit Deep Klong Anglers Club

As the inaugural and only member of the Sukhumvit Deep Klong Anglers Club, I wish to inveigle an expat or two to help me fulfil my desires.

My needs are simple, I wish to find out where and for how much I can hire a boat by the day. One of those longtail (engine swivelling on the transom, 20 ft drive shaft with propellor on the end) boats would be suitable, some shelter from the sun, anchor and warp and room for about 8 people + driver.

My intention is to conduct a few fishing expeditions on the waterways of Bangkok, about October 2003.

In return I can offer, beers in a bar, or treats from NZ such as Cheese, Wine, Weetbix, Crayfish or what-have-you.

Alternatively, if you are insane enough to want to join me on such a venture, a place could be reserved for you if I find that there are other people wanting to go.

Whilst the primary purpose of said expeditions is to see what fish might be caught, the provision of food and refreshments and serving wenches is designed to make the afternoons go in a pleasant way.

So any one who can help me find this info, please don't hold back, 1 year, 3 months, 12 days [67.1 weeks] to go.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Coss,

I'll bite,

Ouch!!

Sorry.

I'll be heading back roughly the same time, sans the missus.

Sounds like quite the adventure.

"Teeruk, sai bait eek, na krup."

Just don't ask me to eat any of the klong fish. smile.gif

For 12 long days and nights, I waited. The murky depths revealed nothing.

As time slipped by the currents stirred gently, small eddies, busy for no obvious purpose, played with each other, barely disturbing the surface of the klong.

I checked the bait, it had not been touched, I dribbled a little Mekhong and coke over it and reset the line.

Moments passed, then more moments still, the rod tip twitched, so slightly I thought it had been an illusion. Then slowly and quietly the line spooled off the reel.

And the first was caught, and his name was Brink15.

Well as you can see it's a long time before I get back to LOS (1 year, 2 months, 29 days) so I pass the time planning and obsessing about the fishing to be had in and around the klongs.

I think that whatever the fish, or whatever else is lurking in the river and klongs, the pure enjoyment of fishing with refreshments and wenches, will make for enjoyable afternoons. And I can't wait to see the locals faces as the 'mad' farangs embark on the fishing adventure.

I wonder if a fishing license is required?

So anyway Brink15, if you're still keen in October '03 we'll have a great time on the klongs and with luck, catch a great big slimey monster...

• 2 months later...

Archived