Why asia->USA so full?

I checked Expedia to see if seats are available for 6/26. Perhaps all the consolidator allotment has all been sold and that is why the travel agent told him nothing was available.

With many airlines consolidators hold the bulk of Economy class seats. If they cannot sell all of their seats they will be released btw. 4 and 2 days prior to departure. Sometimes it's worthwhile to ckeck the availability of seats again during that last week. However this does not work in all cases but during off season quite often.

Often times the problem is not getting out of BKK--it's getting out of the connecting cities such as Seoul, Hong Kong or Tokyo. As one person indicated, it's probably the World Cup crowd. With the U.S., Mexico, Argentina, and Brazil, participating, there are a lot of people to bring back. Add some Europeans who might want to come back through the U.S., plus the usual summer tourists, you can probably see what you're battling.

One poster mentioned some creative routing. You might try Philippine Airlines or Cathay Pacific. Neither stop in Korea or Japan on their way to the U.S.

I tried to look into your question, but without any definitive answer, I think, 'Yup, I think the last poster (and all the above) got it'.

I've been trying to book seats for a friend, and found the eastbound situation really difficult. I think your travel agent gave all the usual reasons. Also, capacity may be down, but only a little from last summer. The x-factor must be the world cup. All routes from North Asia to Latin America go through North America.

When comparing to last year, even though it was prior to 9/11, remember the US economy was going in the toilet and traffic was off anyway.

In reply to:

Often times the problem is not getting out of BKK--it's getting out of the connecting cities such as Seoul, Hong Kong or Tokyo.

My experience is the opposite; flights have be 50% full to Tokyo, but packed to BKK. Same same on the return; packed to Tokyo, but 50% to SFO.

Archived