The Old Sarge's War Stories - Patpong 1971

Back then 500 Baht would take care of the bar fine and the cost of the young lady in most circumstances. That doesn't sound like much, but the Baht was 20 to the dollar. In constant Baht, it's probably cheaper now. You get more bang for the buck (pun intended)

I remember one time tho, but that is another story.

Sarge

Kipster;

There is one book that I remember called "A Samlor Named Desire" by Harry Relnik (or something quite like that). The guy was wierd, wrote like he was high on some good stuff,

but you laughed youself silly over his stories. Probably out of print now, but you still might be able to find a copy or two.

Let me know if you find it.

Sarge

The senior policeman walked over to Sarge, "waied" politely

-----------------------------

most interesting. seems that then you could be a farang, own a business, and still get some respect. Somehow, i think that today, even with bribe-paying, farang bar owners don't get much wai-ing, let alone respect, from the police. Good old times, indeed. Thanks for the story.i had not checked trip reports in weeks (too many "sex reports" last time i checked).

Pooh Bah

I think that it had to do more with public relations than anything else. Sarge ran a clean place (no drugs, etc.) He always cooperated with the police, wouldn't allow underaged Thai girls in, passed on intelligence, etc.

He made it perfectly clear to the first cop that solicitated a bribe that he wouldn't put up with that stuff by reporting the poor bastard to the head of the Ampur, then he went to the Police Major in charge of that particular district and discussed the problem with him.

The end result was that the cops were always welcome to drop by for a bite to eat and a beer. Never free though. It cost them 5 Baht (25 cents) to have lunch or dinner with a couple of beers. Sarge felt that it was cheaper than hiring private security since there was always a cop or two hanging around. Best thing was that the cops policed themselves. They damn sure didn't want to ruin a good thing either.

I found out later that he also organized some of the foreign bar owners into a watchdog association of sorts. They all made it their business to gather intelligence and pass it on to the cops. Hell of a deal. Everybody was happy.

Sarge was also a big contributer to Thai charities, especially ones that the Queen Mother was interested in. That sure as hell didn't hurt either.

he wouldn't put up with that stuff by reporting the poor bastard to the head of the Ampur, then he went to the Police Major in charge of that particular district and discussed the problem with him.

---------------------------------

I do follow you and understand his special relationship with higher authorities. But i thought (dare i say: know) that from high up they make money out of bribes. this being part of the thai way of "patronage" system, nothing dishonest, just te way it is to make the "machine" work.

• 5 weeks later...

I think that a lot more had to do with the fact that Sarge had trained the Thai Special forces for about 5 years, including officers, and "knew" quite a few people. He had also spent some time with "The Queens Cobra's" in The Nam. Of course, since the military was in charge in Thailand in those days that might have had something to do with it also.

A Thai friend once explained the "fee" system in Thailand to me. He said that the Thai government paid their civil servants a small wage, just enough to (barely) live on and gave them rice from the government warehouse. The civil servant could charge a "fee" for his service (and apparently there were some sort of guidelines although I never did quite understand how they operated). The poor Thai might pay a 100 Baht fee (that was $5 in those days and a lot of money for a poor Thai farmer) while a rich Thai might pay 1000 Baht for the same service. The paperwork for the poor Thai would go on the bottom of the stack where it would slowly work its way to the top. The rich man's paperwork would go on top and would be processed immediately. As my friend said "Everybody happy! Civil servant make living wage. Taxpayer pay low taxes. Rich man get things done right away. Poor man get things done little later." What scared the hell out of me is that the way he described it made sense! Maybe I'd spent too much time in the Far East by then.

Sarge

Sarge,

I remember some of your posts from one of the Delphi boards.

I'm glad you made your way here. Please stay for a while and share some more of your tales. It's nice to give board members who came after, some perspective.

Great story.

Thanks for the kind words.

I'll try to share some of my warped "wisdom?" with all. Who knows, it may do some good.

Paul

The Old Sarge

Archived