The Old Sarge's Rules of Survival

The Old Sarge's Rules:

1. Never, never carry all of your Baht on you at one time! Leave what you don't need that day back in the hotel safe.

2. Never carry your Baht for the evening in one place. Break it down. Carry some in your sock, carry some in a front pocket, and carry some in your T-Shirt. (I am referring to those T-Shirts with pockets of course). Even if you get hit, you will only lose part of your allowance for the night.

3. Bet your mother taught you to be polite, be nice and not look for trouble. Follow that advice.

4. If you start feeling uncomfortable with a situation, pay up and move on. Know where the back door is and get the hell out of there.

5. Be observant, but not aggressive.

6. Be confident. Bullies, thugs and rabid dogs will attack a person that they think is afraid. A confident person worries them.

7. Don't ever "flash" your roll. That's really stupid and you will wake up the next morning without it (if you wake up)!

8. If you think that you have been ripped off, go to the Thai Tourist Police. I've never had any dealings with them, but what I have read from this board, they are on your side.

9. Smile, be polite and low key. Remember to say Please and Thank You even to the lowest Tuk-Tuk driver. People will respond to that.

10. Don't ever carry any sort of a weapon on you while in Thailand. You can probably get away with a small pen knife such as a Swiss Army knife with a few specialized blades, but nothing else.

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL...

11. Never ever show any disrespect for His Majesty, the King. That can get you killed.

Follow the Old Sarge's rules and you will survive to live a good, long, healthy and fun filled life.

Regards

Paul

The Old Sarge

Hi Paul,

I don't read this board much, but I'm familiar with your humor from another (defunct?) board.

Good to see you around!

P.S. I never did find any report on the SOF convention (last year?). How did that work out?

Archived