Football injuries?

For many years I refused to watch Football (of the soccer variety) because i had been led to believe it was a girls game, but i must admit during this world cup I have become a big fan. The skill level is incredible and a pleasure to watch. However during the couse of this tournament i have become increasingly disturbed by the sight of grown men rything in horendous pain due to being spiked or kicked in the shins or recieving a corked muscle. Not that I can't handle pain BUT I do wonder when I see these men being stretchered off the field only to jump off when they have cleared the pitch so they can run back on again. Are they for real? It all hit home for me the other night when watching a Rubgy league game and one off the forwards got up after making a tackle with his ring finger obvious dislocated and pointing in an absurd direction that would make even the strongest of stomached veiwer a little ill. Play was stopped for no more than 1 minute while a runner came out and relocated it for him, when play started again he responded by making the next full blown tackle again straight off. Now don't get me wrong...I am not knocking Soccer but for me this really did make me wonder about the guys getting carted off on the stretcher. What I am asking however is....do they always carry on like this or are they only pretending?

Mate I can tell you Soccer is no pussys game but I do get pissed off as well at those silly wankers rolling around when they get injured, if you are really injured you stay down and CAN NOT roll 5 times after you have been hit, The Italians are famous for this sort of carrying on by the way. The reason they get carried off on a strecher is the fairly new rule that if you are injured you must be taken off the field and then you can come back again, I believe it was introduced to stop players slowing the game down, Head injuries will bring the game to a stop though,and blood flow must be stopped before being allowed back in to the game for obvious reasons....

On the subject from a kiwi Rag online;

28 June 2002

The tackle which led to the death of a rugby player in Hawke's Bay last weekend was high and illegal, the club for which the victim played said today.

Central winger Tino Amato, 34, died from injuries suffered in a Maddison Trophy premier grade match against Otane in Waipukurau on Saturday.

"We as a club wish to publicly state that we consider that the tackle which fatally injured winger Tino Amato . . . was both high and illegally executed," Peter Fleming, chairman of the Central Hawke's Bay Rugby and Sports Club, said in a statement.

Mr Fleming said the club knew that the tackle was not penalised at the time and that the referee's reports considered it to have been hard but fair.

"Club members, players and spectators alike also know what they saw and the nature of Tino's injury leaves little doubt as to the legality of the tackle."

The statement added the club was prepared to let the police investigation decide the justice of Saturday's tackle "but we want it known that we do not condone illegal tackles in any shape or form and that we are going to do something about them".

"We owe it to Tino and his family, the kids watching from the sidelines, our players and our supporters to take steps to make such tackles unacceptable at all levels of rugby," Mr Fleming said.

A freezing worker at Richmond's Takapau plant, Mr Amato, who was part-Maori and part-Samoan, had played rugby in the area for the past decade.

An autopsy this week found the player died of internal injuries suffered in the tackle, not of any medical condition.

Waipukurau police have been investigating and there will be an inquest.

The tackle occurred just before halftime and the game was delayed for 15 minutes while the victim was treated.

Earlier this week, Mr Fleming was quoted as saying Mr Amato's widow, Vanessa, the mother of the couple's teenage son, had said she did not want any action taken against the tackler.

"Her attitude is that it is a hard team sport and Tino played it to the full."

In reports about the aftermath of Mr Amato' death, it was reported the tackler was devastated and was understood to have talked about quitting rugby for good.

Mr Fleming's statement said the club's executive, coaches and player reps met Hawke's Bay Rugby Union manager Dave Stevenson on Tuesday night to discuss the club's options on what action it could take to ensure Saturday's tragedy never reoccurred.

Mr Stevenson told NZPA today he had seen the club's statement but declined comment on its content.

"They're entitled to their opinion, the matter's in the hands of the police as part of the coroner's inquest and I don't want to make any comment on it."

Sergeant Geoff Strother of Waipukurau police said he was aware of the club's comments but he also refused comment.

"It's still being looked into so I'm making no comment on it."

Mr Strother added he was unsure when the police inquiry into Mr Amato's death would be completed.

Mr Fleming's statement said the club would press the New Zealand union through the Hawke's Bay union to introduce harsher penalties for illegal tackles.

It would also begin an education and coaching programme aimed at eliminating the dangerous tackle.

Such programmes needed to be driven from the top but the club pledged not to rest "until dangerous tackles are a thing of the past".

The New Zealand union announced at the tangi yesterday for Mr Amato that the All Blacks will honour him with a minute's silence before tomorrow's New Zealand-Fiji test match in Wellington.

Archived