Apartments - Electricity Bill

think_too_mut

Hello Think_too_mut,

It sure sounds very big for an apartment. To compare, I have a house with 5 aircon units installed. I guess that this time of year I run 1.5 of them 24 hours a day (always running all night in bedroom). With this my electricity bill was never bigger than 2500 bath, Including 2 refrigriators. Either they are charging some serious bath per unit in your gf's apartment or there is something wrong with the aircon unit.

Best regards,

Danish30

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before i bought the condo, the owner charged me 5 bahts per unit of electricity. As i bought it, it came down to 2, 5 per U.

I understand you are not there, tight? Gonna be difficult to clear that out, unless your Gf is a consumer advocate....

Sometimes , the counter breaks out, or misfunctions, so nobody's fault, let farang pay, or clueless TG.

[color:red]do you guys get bills like this or higher, lower or much lower..?color=red>

The aircon beast sure can burn quite some energy. I'd say it's certainly not impossible to crank the aircon & what not to gather the amount presented on your gf's bill.

Although 4000 baht seems a bit excessive for only one person.

I live in a 2 room, 80 sqm, apartment in BKK with two aircons. My electricity bill usually runs in the vicinity of 2500 baht / month. But then I only use aircon at night and fans during daytime.

I have no idea what the charge per unit is where I live. I'd expect it though to be a wee bit higher than average. This conclusion however is only based on the fact that the building where I live seems to attract farangs and (comparatively) well off Thais.

Cheers,

Straycat

p127/Danish30/ StrayCat,

Many thanks to all.

She felt really bad about it as if the high bill was her fault. There is definitelly a certain correlation to what she does.

I can't believe that her little household with no washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, microvawe, internal water heater, not even a toaster, could top you guys in big apartments or even 5-bedroom houses with 5 aircons.

True, I am not there. What I can do now is to get her to find out how much is one unit. If it is outrageous, maybe get her to complain or let it rest over next 4 weeks until I get there.

If it is 5bht per unit, byte a lip and live with it. Whatever happens, no way I'll be even hinting to her to sweat in sleepless nights. During the day she's in school anyway.

The price per unit has been about 3.30 baht this year for a private home using a single phase 15 amp meter; although there is a slight change each month. I expect apartments are charged a higher rate but don't know what it is. Your water bill also seems very high for one person. Mine is about twice yours but for 7 people. Is there an electric water heater that might be overused? Electric oven/hot pots/rice cookers?There would normally be an increase from January as that was the cool season but it should not be that high. It could be a faulty air con unit that is always in cool cycle or girl likes to chill out in icy room. I would only expect about a 50-100% increase in cost if nothing was amiss but you seem to be above that point. Perhaps time for someone to check the air conditioner and see how much current it is drawing.

If you have the contract, the cost of the utility (i.e. electricity) should be stated there (mine does).

I don't know if you were involved in original selection, but most people would consider the cost of utility (electricity, telephone, water and etc.) along with monthly rent as a part of selection criteria.

FYI, my rate is 4 baht per unit. And my bill for last month was higher than before ... it has been hot ... and my primarly culprit is Air Con.

You may want to do some maint. on ur air cond.

I found my air cond was not working so well after a few months

( new split system type).

found out the inside unit had dirt/lint/god knows what had accumliated in the cooling unit, and caused it to ice up after about 30 minutes use.

cleaned it, ( and do so every few weeks now) and it works ok.

also ( can't get anyone to admit to it) but the outside unit was near where clothes were put 0ut to dry, found the remains of a sock in it ( along with some of the usual BKK air gunk) hosed it out and made a difference in cooling also.

Thanks to all of you again. I had a closer look and the consumption was 774 units. By 5 Bahts each.

So, the building charging higher price and her consuming more = high bill.

I'll have a look into the aircon when I am there but other than that I can't do much more.

Her tenancy there is not going to be forewer anyway...

Archived