Delete links to files and folders in MS?

How do I find where MS programs like Word, FrontPage etc. store links to files, recent and not so recent? Is there some temp folder I should look for? I'm using XP.

Thanks in advance. bahnawk

Guess the question needs to be clarified.

Are you talking about recently accessed files? Like under Documents in the Start Menu and the recently listed files within Microsoft Applications under the File menu?

Do you want to erase the files as well?

I am thinking you just want to erase traces that you opened them and not the file in question.

Please reply with the Windows Operating system and the apps you are using.

smile.gif

<<burp>>

How do I find where MS programs like Word, FrontPage etc. store links to files, recent and not so recent? Is there some temp folder I should look for? I'm using XP.

...Please reply with the Windows Operating system and the apps you are using.

smile.gif

<<burp>>

-gummigut

oops that must have been one burp beyond legally blind ;>

I'm not concerned about recent documents in the start menu, but links to files previously accessed by MS applications.

A specific example would be using the Scanner and Camera Wizard in Windows XP. When prompted to choose a location to save a scan or image there is a drop down list of paths to folders where I have previously saved an image (even if the folder has already been deleted). I would like to be able to delete this list, not a file or folder itself. The same with FrontPage. It displays paths to previous webs even if they have been deleted from disc. MS Word is not much of a problem as I am able to adjust settings for showing recent documents.

My children are becoming too savvy with computers; I'm trying to keep a step ahead of them for as long as I can although I know it'll be futile in the end.

Hopefully I've made myself more clear.

PS I?m using WinXPsmile.gif

I am not regedit savvy but there must be a way you can search regedit for references to the files and then remove them. There is probably a regedit utility or some security software that might make it easier to do this with out hosing your system. Try looking around at Dave Central, I think he is at OSDN.ORG nowdays. Also see if there is not a way to set

history to 0 days in the individual applications If you have removed the original it doesn't seem to matter that there is still a reference to it. It seems like a greater risk might be that a copy of the file is left in the temp folder. If you are using XP I thought you should be able to set up encryption so that one users folders are not accessable by others

on the system. There was an article dealing with this very subject not long ago:

Hiding naughty photos on my computer?

http://board.nanaplaza.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB15&Number=73081&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=7&o=all&fpart=

Archived