what kind of thais do we see on thai TV?

pattaya127

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow the Americans we see in movies and TV series don't really look like the people I see on an average Saturday at Wallmart either

---------------------------

most likely, but there are many other shows and you see common neighbourhood people, even telling their grievances in a very demonstrative way, on the News... grass roots activists also talking about environment, lack of empowerement. PBS has tons of programs about minorities, but also "down to the bottom" docus made on the terrain. Big nerworks have shows like 60 minutes and many others where unfair treatment to common citizens are exposed. Some shows more positively talk about the good deeds that certain people do in their neighboroods despote the lack of means. I am not sure the thais cover that ground so extensively. Has there been a prime time show about the grievances of the farmers camping in front of the parliament, (more than a photo-op with PM shaking hands) ? do thais care? that would be the next thread, i guess.

Please excuse my cynicism but generally speaking. Jobs in the Entertainment industry are secured by the upperclass families in thailand and then it's just a matter of who knows who and who's doing who favor. Any jobs that involves making someone a celebrity is usually going to be from someone in the family.

I agree,

this is how most recruitment is done in Thailand - it's who you know.

Also, image is very important. Imagine a TV soap that showed the problems encountered by ordinary people - such as corruption involving government officials. This would soon be stopped.

Some people may remember the first TV advert for Leo Beer. It showed a fictional governor getting too drunk to notice when a meeting had finished. Complaints were voiced and the advert quickly disappeared.

I think the recruitment method explains the number of screaming/crying women on Thai TV. This is all they can do, they were not recruited because of acting ability.

Some say the soaps with upper-class families are the programs that are popular with Thais. Well, is there really any alternative?

It would be nice to see a few more soaps that showed something as recognisably Thailand! What's usually seen is people sleeping in pyjamas under duvets, never go to work, never get stuck in a traffic jam, never walk down a street blocked by vendor's carts, etc...

Actually, I don't like soap operas from any country!

On the tv you see what the studio execs, talent agencies and the advertisers want you to see. Which is basically fair skinned Thais with some sort of mixed look. Face it fair skin denotes beauty, success and wealth in the culture. Just as it does in many other cultures.

I have a friend here in the States that is a part time model and who is half Thai/Irish and pretty darrn good looking(think of an Asian Tom Cruise). Last year his agent sent him to Bangkok for a couple of shoots and a chance to get some regular work there. As far as print work was concerned he was shot down because he didn't look young enough. He is 28 looks 21 but they wanted someone who looked 18. The Bangkok agencies did tell him that if he worked on his Thai and moved to Bangkok they may be able to get him movie and television work because he had the "right" look. They even suggested that he get some voice training for possible music gigs! He decided to pass on it because he knew that his wife in the States wouldn't go for it.

The interesting thing he noticed that everyone at the agencies auditioning were all half Thais(he also met some Singaporean chicks auditioning, go figure) and a large number of them were like him not even born or educated in Thailand.

I think the recruitment method explains the number of screaming/crying women on Thai TV. This is all they can do, they were not recruited because of acting ability.

------------------------------------

also they don' t really want to have women taking charge(unless she is 60+) and the guy being a nitwit, Better stick to the usual witch and helpless stereotypes...

Archived