Re-registering motorcycle

Is it true that when re-registering a motorbike both the buyer, seller and the bike must go back to the province in which it was purchased?

Is there no way around this (ie a fax/ems documents etc)??

can the dealer that sold the bike deal with the paperwork to avoid this major inconvenience on both parties?

You probably need to return to the province in which it was last registered if you want to change the name of who the bike is registered to.

At the motor vehicle department they need to see the vehicle to check ID numbers (they may make an imprint), forms need to be signed by the seller (the seller needs to show ID to prove they are the registered owner) and of course the buyer needs to fill out forms and prove who they are (in the case of a Farang there may be a minimum visa requirement of non-immigrant and maybe an affidavit of residence from embassy, I don't know).

Also if you plan to register the vehicle in a different province you need to fill out more forms "yai rot" (move vehicle). Then you will need to take this information to your home province and register your vehicle there.

Unfortunately the various government departments in one province don't seem to have much communication with their counterparts in other provinces. They are not properly linked by computer and even making a simple phone call to verify information seems to be out of the question.

Once the vehicle is properly registered then you can pay your yearly registration fee from one province to another province at the post office (and other locations I believe).

Having said all that, if you bought your bike from a reputable dealer they should be able to assist you. Contact them first but don't expect anything to get done overnight. Good Luck

[color:red]in the case of a Farang there may be a minimum visa requirement of non-immigrant and maybe an affidavit of residence from embassy, I don't knowcolor=red>

This apparantly changed a while ago.

Farang can now register vehicles regardless of visa -- though still have to show an embassy affidavit and/or a copy of the apartment contract, or such like.

Straycat

I bought my motorbike back in late January this year. I was required to have a non-immigrant visa, passport copy and a letter from Immigration stating my local address. Maybe the rules have changed since.

what a crock or beaurocratic bullshit, no wonder this country is so far behind the rest of the world. finally got it done at the dealer where the thing was purchased (its only 8 months old so they helped us). I needed a work permit (which is okay as i have one) and something called a "bai rup rong" which i had to go to the police for (to validate my address or something). the seller also needed this (which he couldnt get as he's leaving the country the next day, also workpermit expired). anyway we had to persuade my good friend at the police station to do one for him so he can sell the bike... then the insurance etc etc a wad of paperwork so thick you could beat a whale to death with it. anyway its finally sorted. i just have to do it all again when i sell my bike!!

Archived