Khaeng or gaeng

shotover

Whenever I would playfully tease or pinch bar GF from Ubon, she would say "Shotover khaeng" or "Shotover gaeng", as though I was being mean to her.

Any idea what the translation to English would be? I know transliterations are difficult and often misused, so I may not be stating this term very accurately.

Shotover

It is Thai. But it could easily be inserted into an Isan-dialect conversation. When Isaners speak, it's almost never purely in Isan dialect -- they're always mixing in Thai words. In a pure Isan conversation, they would probably use the word "saew" instead of "klaeng".

By the way, in addition to "tease" or "harass", the word can also mean "to fool" someone, or "to pretend".

When it is used as "harass", it doesn't usually mean to harass in a serious or severe way. Real harassment (i.e., sexual harassment or the like) uses the phrase "luan larm". Sexual harassment = "karn luan larm thang phet".

Yeah it could also be soup, but in the contest it is definitely á¡Åé§ (tease). Also difficult when Thai words are spelled phonetically. Always wonder what teasers are doing on the menu of a thai restaurant or does it mean that those dishes are expertly done 555555555

"But Shotover wrote "khaeng or gaeng" whitout any L.'

Shotover has a rotten ear for foreign languages, and she could have snuck an L in there without me picking it up. PvtDick mentioned in an earlier post that the 'L' in Klaeng is often not enunciated.

Archived