Bad Day for Baseball *DELETED*

Arguably the best pure hitter ever in the game. Couuld hit for average (last man to hit .400 and I think was batting around .388 at 39 or late 30s) and had over 500 home runs. If he didn't spend some of his most productive years in the military he certainly would have had over 600 home runs.

He will be sorely missed......but not as much by old time Yankee players and fans....joking.

He essentially missed 5 seasons

He missed 1943 - 45 and almost all of 52, 53 (101 at bats total).

In 1958, I sat in right field in Yankee Stadium and the Splendid Splinter hit a line drive rope for a single - it was coming directily towards me and I had a beautiful view of it. I knew how special it was for me to see this as his career was towards the end.

Ted is a legend, and will always be larger than life as tales of baseball are passed on from father to son. That .400 mark may not be eclipsed for quite some time to come. The tall, lean man with 20/10 vision and a true eye for the ball has now moved on. Rest in peace, Ted.

f

Save the eulogies, Teddy Ballgame may only be on the extended DL or momentarily grabbing some pine. It is now being reported that the Splendid Splinter's body, at least his frozen head, is in the custody of Alcor Life Extension Inc., the leaders in cryonics. Apparently a dispute among his children from three marriages, some of whom wish to profit from the selling of #9's DNA. (The marketing: ...a splinter of the Splinter). The idea was floated by Mr. Williams in his final months and he was opposed. R.I.P.

Expansion, DH, juiced baseballs, shrinking strike zone, bandboxes, steroids and now this? Makes me long once again for the glory days.

You gotta separate the non baseball from the baseball. Lots of the 'good ole days' were filled with questionable characters who were great players.

Ty Cobb who was not only a blatant racist but was in all likelihood a little schizo mentally in his advanced age.

Steve Carlton was a recluse and a conspiracy theorist. Lived pretty much unknown in Philadelphia with no known address during his tenure there.

Ted's no different. Ongoing feud with the press and fans of his own home city during his career.

Yes, a bad day for baseball that was. And it didn't improve at all yesterday. The All-Star game is called a 7-7 tie when both teams run out of pitchers in the 11th inning. No winner so no MVP was announced. It would have been the first MVP awarded as the newly renamed, yes, Ted Williams award. Baseball faces a looming strike and given the bozos who are running the circus is beginning to look more like a fait accompli.

Archived