udon to laos?

thai3

I agree with Hua Nguu. Nong Khai town is the most attractive town I've seen in the North-East. Although coming from me this is not saying much as I consider that most E-sahn towns and cities of any size are very unattractive (by day at least), Udon included.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where were you when i needed you (begining of thread)?????

I saw Loy Kratong in 91 there. magical, temple at night lighted only by the glow of the moon, monks out to watch a movie with the crowd in the opened night by the river, people dressed up with their little kratongs in their hands, only 2 or 3 light bulbs visible from the other shore (Laos), and the kratongs finally floating wayward in the river, so ephemeral, so etheral. i am a big sucker for festivals, Thailand at its best, I can cry just remembering the beauty, the poise of the women, sometimes the ribaldry of the men, all in the name of sanook, no worry for a fleeting moment, God! I love that country....

>Where were you when i needed you (begining of thread)?????

Welly sollyy smile.gif

I ditto your sentiments about the festivals in Thailand and especially my favourite one - Ngaan Loy Krathong.

In `93 I recall celebrating Loy Krathong in Mukdahan. I was invited to a party by the owner of my guest house Nittaya.

And the next day I met some of the guests from the party the night before and I was invited to join them in the preparations of the Krathongs etc.

In those days they didn`t make these horrible styrofoam krathongs as you can see today. Mayby I am a bit too PC here, but it sure doesn`t look nice to see thousands of non degradeable styrofoam rafts washed up on the river bank the following morning.

When we all went to float our krathongs on the Maekhong River there was a slight head wind which we at first didn`t notice not until we realized that our krathongs didn`t go anywhere but right back to the floating point. Apparently, the river Goddess Toranee didn`t accept our offerings frown.gif

What the founder of Wat Kaek in Nong Khai concerns then I never met him in person.

Since you have met him did he ever offer you to drink water from his canteen?

I´ve read somewhere that anybody drinking water from his canteen would hand over all his earthly possessions.;)

Hua Nguu.

he was definitely a character, the kind of guys who seem to know more than they say, but then all old monks are like that. He did have a big flock of her, died black, and i sure made a point of asking him to drink from his canteen, as i am not superstitious, and unless my GF is his grand daughter laugh.gif, never disbursed a penny ! People in NK just did not like him, may have to do with politics, they said he spoke ill of the monarch, which will do it, to spread rumours about him. I do not think he had blue prints to build all the statuary, his secretary, otherwise a nice and wise guy, told me he inspired the workers with some invisible power of communication, took place in his stomach chakra and going out to them. All i know is that i saw him once all morning shouting out directions and instructions with a megaphone (have a video of it) to the workers on the scaffoldings. I am sorry he died (74yo), Thailand does not have that many famous mavericks and characters like that anymore.

I heard that his favourite artist was actually Donna Summer.

Well, why not. Although one would have suspected something a little more local taste like Moh Lam or something.

I recall that there were a lot of loudspeakers all over the place and I also seem to recall hearing Donna Summer`s Ooooh I feel Love, I feeel looove.... coming out of it much to my surprise at that time.

The fact that Sala Kaew Kuu is also known as the Wat Khaek in NK says a lot about the locals` opinion of him.

Regards

Hua Nguu.

I am not quite sure what name you are referring to.

But I would guess you are already familiar with the word "Kaek". You know it could mean Guest, muslim, hindu etc.

What Sala Gaew Kuu concerns I can only guess. Sala is rather obvious I`d say that would mean Gazebo. Kaew could mean Glass or Crystal like in Wat Phra Gaew in Bkk. What Kuu concerns I have no idea.

Regards

Hua Nguu

Archived