Ohhh, so that's what they mean.................

Brink15

Uhhhhhh Sayjann,

Oohhhhhhhhhhhh Sayjann,

I'll try to explain this so that you understand.

The point of my posting the above quote is that the BBC phrased the quote FOR Americans.

OK, now hold on, here is the clincher.

They phrased it that way to be funny.

Have you heard the term taking the piss?

They were basically saying "Hey you dumn yanks, what you call soccer is really foootball - as in - the rest of the world calls it football because it's played with one's feet."

I tried typing that slowly so you might catch the nuances of their dry wit.

Hope you feel better knowing it was an attempt at humor at us yanks expense, rather than some global BBC conspiracy to convert the ENGLISH into Americans.

i don't think the BEEB could take the piss,no matter how hard they tried.

are you sure,that is what they were doing?.

ok,may lose a little in translation(spoken word into written words).

if i misunderstood you,then ok,i apologise.

but the BEEB are so PC these days.

one complaint though.

please don't take the piss about my knowledge of FOOTBALL.

i've been watching it since 1963 and i think i know how it works.

In America, six year old boys have a laugh how soccer should be called football and the sport the NFL plays should be called soccer. And then we forget about it and get on with our lives.

sayjann,

Again you are misunderstanding my point.

Yes I was taking the piss.

Not on your knowledge of football. I would not presume to do that, particularly since I am a football novice.

I was however taking the piss about your previous posts. You were insinuating this was either the BBC kowtowing to the Yanks or Yanks trying to take over your sport.

Neither was correct.

Look at the site: http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/sports/faqs_for_yanks.jsp

This is on the BBC America site. The title is FAQs for Yanks. In other words, we, as yanks, haven't a clue about football (the real kind). If you read the first FAQ: Why is "soccer" really called "football"?

This is addressed to yanks, meaning the sport you yanks consider to be "soccer" is really 'football."

Then the BBC's answer: The reason it's called "football" is because you use your feet to play it, unlike "handball" in which you use your hands.

It sounds like they are talking to a small child doesn't it? Now listen little Danny, big people call it football because, guess what, you play it with your feet.

Hence my point that they are taking the piss in a good-natured way with their American viewers. I just thought this was funny and so I posted it.

Unfortunately you first took this to be a question I myself had asked: "i think your question should be 'why is football called soccer'

USA only country which calls it soccer. "

Then later you contradict yourself by implying some worldwide conspiracy by the US to change football's name. Thus implying we aren't the only one's to call it soccer:

"football was started in england,i think most people would agree?.

always known as football,then the world's superpower got involved and decided to change the name of the the game.

and most countries followed their lead.

the BBC is now so anti anything british/english,that it does'nt surprise me they they start to change the english language.

and do i have a choice?.

away from the subject a little,whenever i return to uk from my travels,i get annoyed when i am asked if i am european/british.

no,i am fucking ENGLISH. "

If you had bothered to read all of the posts you were commenting on, before you made your comments, I would not have taken the piss at your expense.

As I said in the beginning of this post, as regards your knowledge of football itself I have no doubt you know your stuff. So relax, get a pint, and read posts more thoroughly.

Cheers smile.gif

Archived