Ohhh, so that's what they mean.................

Brink15

I found this BBC FAQs for yanks on football.

"Why is "soccer" really called "football"?

The reason it's called "football" is because you use your feet to play it, unlike "handball" in which you use your hands. In fact, in football, as opposed to rugby or American football, you will be penalized for committing the offence of handball if the ball touches your hand or arm.

This is why football is the purest and, to any right thinking person's mind, the best of the world's team sports. The real question which you should be asking is, "Why is American football not called American rugby?"

There are lots of other footballs like Aussie football (where people also pick up the ball - what is their problem?!). Rugby was a derivative of football, allegedly founded when a boy at Rugby public school picked up a ball during a game of football and instead of being sent off, was rewarded with founding a new game."

I wonder how many of my fellow "yanks" will miss the use of good old British sarcasm.

"Hey, Bubba, this here limey website says this soccer stuff is really football just 'cause you use your feet. Damn, next thing you know we'll have call it batball when we watch the Yankees play. What the hell does that make hockey, stickpuck?" smile.gif

Uhhhm Sayjann,

I don't know if you realize it, but that is a question from the BBC's FAQ sheet. If you want to know why they phrased it as such you'll have to ask them.

As re: which came first the soccer or the egg, you're preaching to the choir.

Hey Brink.

With your new avatar showing owd Bawton,have you succumbed to the charms of Bolton ? good choice mate.Just 10-15 miles up the road from me.

Who can forget Frank Worthington's classic over-head flick then goal (against Ipswich back in the 70's ? ),class,pure class

Oh, Brink15, you must really like the underdog. Boton Wanderers and now Charlton Ath. Okay, just go a little farther north of Charlton and you'll find a club that suits you just fine.

I'm still looking for that article. Its funny, you see something all the time and when you need it, it disappears.

I feel different things when I watch different sports. Baseball you can relax the most. Football and basketball the action is constant so you stay affixed and your mind can wonder during time outs. Soccer however, you really do have to stay concentrated the whole time, it reminds of watching ice hockey. You just might miss something important if you don't pay attention.

Good luck in watching this year.

Steve,

I feel pretty much the same except it's:

Baseball - I fall asleep (unless it's the Sox)

B-Ball - Good

Football (NFL) - Don't even think about changing the channel

Football (Soccer) - I can only relate my experience during the World Cup which was - 2 hours later - I'm sorry did you say something? - "you only care football" "No, I, uhm, I heard everything you said." "You lie." "Hey, great game wasn't it?"

smile.gif

football was started in england,i think most people would agree?.

always known as football,then the world's superpower got involved and decided to change the name of the the game.

and most countries followed their lead.

the BBC is now so anti anything british/english,that it does'nt surprise me they they start to change the english language.

and do i have a choice?.

away from the subject a little,whenever i return to uk from my travels,i get annoyed when i am asked if i am european/british.

no,i am fucking ENGLISH.

Archived