Your most dangerous situation in Thailand?

Pescator

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#1 I broke my collarbone in a motorcycle accident when a Thai in a car decided he wanted my side of the street. It had just rained and I had to dump the bike in order to avoid becoming a hood ornament.

#2 I went out with a buddy and two students to Patong for a night of entertainment. We took two bikes, my buddy and me on one and the two students on the other.

My buddy and I were used to nights out and rarely lost control. The two students, having been in the LOS for a few weeks, proceeded to get plastered.

At about 4AM we decided to head back and since neither student could drive we put one on my buddy's bike and I drove the other. At the time I weighed about 160lbs. The student riding on the back of my bike weighed at least 240.

As we started back it began to rain. Now the road from Patong to Karon is the most dangerous in Phuket Province. A combination of steep mountain roads and sharp turns. As we start up the hills the guy on the back of the bike starts swaying from side to side.

I was having enough fun keeping the front wheel on the ground due to the weight difference, but with him leaning back and swaying I thought we were dead for sure. On one side a cliff and on the other cars and trucks. Thankfully at 4AM the cars and trucks were fairly few. Several times I managed to recover from almost going off the side of some steep drop-offs.

We finally made it to Kata and pulled up in front of where they were staying. I parked their bike and told my buddy we needed to hit a beer bar as now I NEEDED a drink.

My two students decided they also wanted to have a few more. We tried to talk them out of it, but they said they were fine.

The smaller of the two decided to drive. Both got on and they started to back up. As they headed down the road the bike swerved from side to side in increasingly larger arcs until they dumped it on its side.

My buddy and I ran over to them. They were just lying there moaning "help." It was really comical. Neither one was hurt, but they trashed the handlebar and mirror.

We got them inside and off we went for a now much needed drink.

Did some border crossings into Laos and Burma a few times, but along unchecked borders....

Got caught one time coming back from Burma by Thai military, they were more confused than unhappy about the situation.....

>two potentially lethal situations that would not have happened to me in farangland.

Well I got caught with lipstick behind my ears by the GF after an afternoons diddling. Had it been farangland perhaps potentially lethal? Here my GF just warned me to take off the lipstick before I meet her next time. She knows the score.

1990, my friend and I made it a habit, when drunk and on the town in BKK, to hire a Tuk Tuk each and each offer 100 baht to our driver to get us to where we were going, first. Yes, Tuk Tuk racing.

This was before metered taxis were common. Several times we would retain the same 2 Tuk Tuks for the whole night and feed and beer the drivers.

Several times we wound up Tuk Tuks on their sides at 4 in the morning.

In retrospect, not very wise.

>Well, once upon a time I was caught in the middle of a running gunfight between the police and a fugitive.

Could make for an interesting story, sure isn`t as tame as my incidents.

No complains from me though, I would rather be exposed to tame incidents and still be around rather than end up in an exotic one and be dead smile.gif

Mayby you would like to share the story?

Concerning the Sukhumwit part. Yeah, I agree. Traffic remains the no. 1 killer, no doubt about that.

Regards

Hua Nguu.

Geez.

That would have scared the living shit out of me!

Especially after a story I heard from a friend in Nong Khai last year.

He (local thai) told me that a farang couple (french) were shot and killed by Lao Police when trying to enter Laos illegally. I heard it from more than one source.

Does it sound familiar to you?

By the way what does your boardname Tchiowa mean if you don`t mind me asking?

Is it a thai word?

The reason why I am asking is that I`ve seen it quite often in another forum and often wondered what it meant.

Regards

Hua Nguu.

Archived